Return to Meditation

I went to a meditation session at my church last night. It’s the first time I have been to an organised session.

At first I seemed to slip into a mediative state easily. Then my mind raced and alsoets of shit was going round my mind. I kept trying to clear my mind and focus on the mediation but could not.

I then stopped trying to fight against it and found my whe body and mind relax. It was a really amazing experience and I’m looking forward to learning more about the process and to include it in my weekly life.

2 Likes

Wow. Thank you for sharing that, and for bumping this thread up.

Yesterday was the first time in a solid week I sat down for proper meditation after spending a lot of time getting back on track. It was tough again.

It’s certainly easier with practice!

I’ve never tried a group meditation. Any thoughts on the experience?

1 Like

Good thread to bump up thankyou. Meditation is definitely something that I need to learn to do and practice. By all accounts it seems like it can be very beneficial to recovery. :+1::+1::+1::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Also, while this is bubbled up, someone recommended the Insight Timer app.

Still checking it out, but liking it. It has more of a library and variety than Calm, but with other little quibbles.

2 Likes

Installed, thanks :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I remember when I first looked into meditation I found the structure of Calm helpful and the amount of choice on Insight Timer overwhelming. Now I am just used to Calm and although I haven’t been using it for meditation a whole lot, I do use the music for going to sleep.

2 Likes

Yeah, for clean and simple routine I still go to Calm. Was wanting to find some more to choose from for the occasional longer mediation and was recommend Insight Timer.

You’re not wrong, there’s a ton in there!

2 Likes

Installed CALM again… I used to use it. Thanks for the reminder… :herb::blue_heart::herb: Maybe it will help bring me down before sleep a little. All holistic advice to staying sober welcome!

1 Like

I used to have it though I didn’t really use it. Do you have to pay to access it’s services? :slightly_smiling_face:

I use the free version of both these below to help my relax and drift to sleep. Mostly I find they work very well

Ooh I’m downloading those, thanks Adrienne :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Your welcome . The sleep easy one the woman has such a relaxing voice.

I’m try it out tonight, hopefully it will stop the hamster wheel that sounds in my head when trying to sleep :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

It definitely should do. Use earphones though. Hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

There’s an amount that’s free but then you have to pay to access everything. Think it’s something like £35 for the year.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’ve had Calm subscription for a while now and don’t totally remember. As I recall, some basic level of things are free and you can do a week trial of the whole thing.

Insight Timer has a lot free with more subscription nagging, plus again more unlocked if you subscribe. But like @siand said, it’s a little more cluttered and overwhelming.

Both I think are 60 USD per year if you subscribe, but both constantly update content.

Yeah I’m not sure it’s be willing to pay for a subscription like that, I know it’s not a massive amount of money. I’ll perhaps use something that’s free to see if I’m even inclined to do some serious meditation.
Thanks for letting me know. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Yup. And totally still check both out!

Think the main reason I subscribed to Calm was wanting to download the tracks for flights. And a tonnnn of the Insight stuff is free.

1 Like

I did have calm but the only thing I can remember being for free was a creating exercise/counter type thing. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

I find lots of great, free meditations on YouTube. I tried some of the apps, but just didn’t want to pay for them, seemed like I could get just as much for free.

I especially love sleep meditations. Puts me in the right headspace. Highly suggest headphones too, they enhance the experience.

Last nights was wonderful…