Returning to sobriety after a short relapse

Hi everyone! After 4.5yrs sober, I decided I could “control my drinking” because I was a “different person now.” And well, it didn’t go that way :woman_facepalming:t2: after a few months off, trying to figure that out, I am starting my sobriety journey again today. Feeling a mix of emotions - mainly Excited/nervous/tired/dehydrated (haha) but overall I’m happy to be in this community and using this app. I never knew about it until recently and am excited to have an uplifting community

36 Likes

Welcome Lauren,

Seems many feel the same way as you did. Long time in total control and abstinence, then trial of trying and failure.
I am hopeful I learn from all you fine folks that have gone before me to not try. lol.
But a huge welcome and (a) congratulations n your long run and (b) congratulations of getting right back on the sobriety train. Seems it really is the only way to fly.

7 Likes

Welcome Lauren.
I appreciate your story. I’m a little over 4 years in my sober journey. I’m feeling pretty good about it. Not cocky. I know I cannot drink like a gentleman. Most people that write in like you just did have the same experience trying to control it. Thanks for the reinforcement for me on this.

This is a great sober community with lots of nonjudgmental love and support. You must have some great tools to have gotten that 4.5. Looking forward to reading your experience strength and hope.

The lights are always on.
Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable.
:pray:t2::heart:

13 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes

Welcome Lauren :slightly_smiling_face: I’m glad you’re here sharing your story, thank you.

2 Likes

Hi Lauren, your story is exactly the same as mine.
You can read all of it at my profile if you want to.
The good thing of all this is that you know what kept you sober the first time. You don’t have to find your way in the jungle of recovery tools, you already have a filled toolbox!
So welcome back into living a sober life!
I’m more then 5 year sober since my relapse.
You can do that too, let’s go! :facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Lauren2 and thank you for sharing your story. It is good to be reminded that it is not worth trying to ‘drink normally’, however much time has passed, our brains are just wired differently. You have helped me stay focused on my journey :heart:
Lots of lovely people and awesome threads on here, I hope to see you about.
:heart::v:

1 Like

Welcome back

Crazy thought,

If no one relapses, then we’re going to run out of things to say at group or meetings

Crazy

2 Likes