Rule change: Age requirement on registration

Hello Talking Sober!

We moderators have been discussing a growing concern: underage users. While the vast majority of our users are adults, we do occasionally get a few minors.

There are a few moral and legal issues at hand here. What if an underage sex addict signs up and asks sexual advice from adults? Besides being awkward, it could also be illegal for any adult to even have a conversation on this topic with a minor. The key here is to limit interaction with minors. However, we also acknowledge that there might be valuable information on here that could help minors too. With that in mind, we have decided to disallow minors from registering accounts on Talking Sober. They would still be able to browse the forum and read anonymously, but they won’t be able to interact with anyone.

From here on out, Talking Sober only allows users to register if they are at least 18 years of age. The registration process now includes a confirmation box that members need to tick when signing up. Being dishonest about this will result in an account suspension and a block on the forum. The forum rules and guidelines have also been updated.

Also, I realize that we do currently have a handful of minors active on the forum. To my knowledge, they have been responsible on here and have not caused any legal or moral concerns. We will keep all current accounts active and they won’t be removed, but I must note that any behaviour that would place the forum or the forum members in a potentially illegal situation will likely result in the suspension of said minor’s account.

This was a difficult decision. I hope that everyone can see where we are coming from and that we are only trying to do what is best for the community.

42 Likes

I know this decision was not arrived at easily but I do think it’s the proper one.

16 Likes

Thank you for exploring this issue and making a really hard call. I absolutely agree that it is the right one.

8 Likes

Thanks for allowing me, among others, to stay on the forum :smiley:

12 Likes

It is difficult to say for sure as there is no age registration info required on sign up. However from the active conversations it appears it isn’t very many, which is probably expected given the nature of the forum. For those who are not active i.e. just reading, it doesn’t have much of an impact.

Regardless, there are lots of spaces on the internet that are either youth- led or designed for young people, with appropriate safeguards and support. And as per the OP, any minors who signed up before the rule change are welcome as long as legal and moral issues don’t arise.

As with everything, we rely on all members to support the moderating team to identify and flag any content that may be in breach of forum rules. And as always, for any issues or concerns everyone is welcome to message @moderators :blush:

5 Likes