Sad about my totaled car

So, last week my car decided to jump out of gear and go for a ride on its own down a hill and into the woods and hit a tree. (AT HOME ON PRIVATE PROPERTY) Found out its totaled and did 10-11,000 dollars in damage. Hitting a deer at 50mph 6 months ago did less damage. I dont know why but i am way sadder about this than i expected. I dont feel like drinking like i wanted to the day it happened. I dont know why im so sad over just stuff. Maybe because it was my first big purchase ive ever done?(SAVED UP AND PAID CASH) Just wanted to complain a little. Anyone else really attached to their car? It was a 2012 honda civic si coupe. Had 40k miles on it when i bought it four years ago. It died at 109,998 miles. So young, was still just a baby. I planned on driving it till 300,000. Anyway just trying to get over it before wanting to drink feelings set in. I havent drank in a couple weeks. Physically i am feeling better. Its been nice.

14 Likes

Lucky no one was hurt , maybe saving up again and getting another one will give you a good reason not to lift a drink , also bikes are good exercise wish you well

4 Likes

I live out in the middle of no where. A bycycle would be ill advised out where i live. People drive way too fast on these roads and would run you over. Work is a 40 minute drive also. If i lived close to work id absolutely ride a bycycle to work. I havent decided if i want to buy a “new” car or not. I did buy a 91 honda civic with 232k miles on it last week. Which was going to be a backup car. Which has now moved to my only car. Ill be getting it registered today. I spent about thirty hours working on it last week so i can drive it. That absolutely helped me get distracted and i didnt have a single craving during that time.

7 Likes

I can totally understand your feelings about losing your car. Its your baby and pride at buying it outright. It sucks man. Im sorry.

Im also super proud of you for coming here and seeking support and not giving in to the toxic coping mechanism that is alcohol. Thats a huge accomplishment in its self

RIP @Techpro92 honda civic si coupe

5 Likes

I have loved every car I’ve owned and there have been a few. The one that still stings was a little red Subaru Sport that I lost in a freak flash flood in Milwaukee many years ago. Maybe because it was such a freak occurrence?

I get it. Start saving for your next love. Wheels are freedom.

2 Likes

I also have that kind of sentimentality about my vehicles. The first car I owned was a gift from my parents, a new (sensible) Ford Taurus in baby poo taupe color, but I loved it because I had worked so hard in school/college and it felt like I really earned it. Within a year, my shithead of a boyfriend broke off the side mirror and dented the passenger door side panel so bad it had to be replaced. I was so upset. And my dad had to get it fixed. Oh the shame. Then years later, the first car I ever bought (new to me) and paid off myself was a VW station wagon with all the bells and whistles from, like, 2008 or something, in pistachio green. I fucking loved that car! I was leaving the house and it was snowing hard and a block away it just suddenly died. I tried jumping it with my emergency thing and no dice. The transmission was fried and it was a goner. I cried! Those of us who rely on our vehicles so much to live, who don’t have public transit or have inclement weather or whatever it is feel something for these tools of transportation. That’s my take anyway. And they’re so expensive and rely on us to take care of them, too. It’s an investment and that involves feelings, too!

Good on you for coming here for support and commiseration. Hang in there and mourn that baby sober.

3 Likes

Thanks man. Glad im not over reacting for feeling this way about a car. It was the nicest thing i owned. Ive always had turd buckets for transportatio. And oh yeah i figured getting on here and just talking about my feelings was a good idea. Thanks for the support. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t quite understand the valid feelings you shared about your car, until I reflected more about my own car.

Like yourself, I’ve always owned average cars that were also second hand. In my twenties, I really wanted a Subaru Liberty and now I have a second hand one through saving and paying cash.

It was big enough to fit child seats, took us from A to B, and transported us on many fun adventures. The all wheel drive system gives me added feeling of safety in wet weather too.

All things considered, I now get your attachment to your car. Wish you the best with your next one!

5 Likes

Probably everyone who drives has this one car, that’s special. Mine was a crappy banged up mazda 3 in black. It had dents. It made weird clonky sounds in the corners. Aircon didn’t work. It had a chronic wishbone problem. Etc etc etc

I LOVED IT!

One day I stopped at a red light… the car behind me didn’t. I had no injuries whatsoever, but my beloved little car was beyond repair.
Now years and years later I drive significantly better cars. We lease and every 2-3 years we swap for a brand new one. It’s nice to drive reliant, new, shiny cars that come with a service plan… but still, if I could magically get my banged up crappy car back as it was before it got crashed, I would take it back!
:squid:

5 Likes

Oh dang thats horrible. Yeah i think that it was so unexpected was part of it.

1 Like

Thank you. Its the memories. The fact i saved up cash to buy it. The time and such i spent on babying it and taking care of it. For it to ve destroyed and no one was even driving it.

1 Like

Dang yeah i feel you. I guess its like a first love. Ive already had one of those. Then a few cars later you fall in car love with it and you don’t wanna give it up.

2 Likes

I feel you. I do not drive a car myself but I give my bicycle (s) I have had in life a name. And because I use it a lot it becomes a bit of a buddy. My current bike is called “Baasje” it’s Dutch for boss/master sort off.
I’m sorry for the loss of your car, it was a nice one! But glad it didn’t got you drinking for it.
I hope you can save money in the future to get a new chance to own one a nice as this one was.
:people_hugging:

2 Likes