Sad and Bored

Hi There,

So the whole 2022 has just been binge drinking and I gave up on any plans of getting sober. . .until recently.
I know if I carry on with it, my mental health will suffer and I’ll probably get very ill.
So. .I hope that this time, I’ll make it to staying sober once and for all.
I was excited at the thought of new opportunities, feeling great and yet tonight I feel totally miserable about it all! :frowning:
I wish I felt enthusiastic about getting a new hobby or whatever, but truth is, I just dont feel motivated to do anything.
Plus, I’m not good at many things…it’s rather sad.
I hope it passes.

4 Likes

Welcome back. I hope this time around you’ll find what you are looking for and come with an open heart.

I struggled a lot with the concept of never again. Of course after another hangover my resolve was strong and faded quickly to the try of moderate drinking. Which somehow didn’t work out very well.
I had to digest people telling me to take it one day at a time. Which sounded like a stupid joke. Like: this is it? I mean, really? At first it was just that. And this was already a lot to do and wrap my mind around.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

I really want to stop completely as I know there is no way I can moderate!
I guess I am quite sad about how boring I am as my favourite pastime was binge drinking!

One day at a time is less scary than forever. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can understand that I think. Often I am surprised what I discover after being bored. I go out and explore my surroundings or try new things. This won’t happen when I have every minute planned of the day. Kids need boredom to get creative. We also have to allow ourselves to be bored at times in a world full of distractions.
With some distance to my last bottle of wine I can say that this was really boring as well. Bit I often couldn’t remember this the next day.

2 Likes

Hangovers were awful AND boring so at least I’m not hungover I suppose!

You are right, maybe boredom is a push to look at things in a different way and see opportunity.

Think I should wrap up and go for a walk in the woods tomorrow. I have a day off work, so may as well use it wisely. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your understanding

2 Likes

Thank you for starting this thread. I have been feeling the same way. Part of it is chemical. Our brains still are craving that “reward.” But overtime those chemicals level out. I also love the previous posters mention of boredom being precursor to creativity.

2 Likes

I didnt even think about it as being chemical…makes perfect sense!
Thanks

1 Like