Same mistake again

I’ve been sober for a WHOLE YEAR! And yesterday I completely gave up on myself and turned back towards drinking. I feel so defeated and disappointed in myself…

4 Likes

Oh man, that’s a bummer. What happened?

Welcome back! You’ve been there before, you know what to do.

Job and bills got the best of me

I am so sorry that you feel defeated and disappointed in yourself. This was a setback for you, don’t let it define you. We are all on this journey together. You are not alone. I am right there with you. I am on my millionth day 5. All we can do is pull ourselves up and keep going! Take care of yourself.

3 Likes

Thank you and god bless you. I wish I could be uplifting right now but I’m just sad

Of course you are. The shame and defeat can be overwhelming at times. But you will use how you are feeling right now as a deterrent for the next possible time. You are sad because you care and want this so badly! Allow yourself to be sad and grieve the year sobriety you had. Just remember that you are a human being with an addiction. Also remember that no one else would say the things to you that you are probably saying to yourself.( I always tell myself how worthless and weak I am after a relapse.) You are worth it! All we can do is start over and work harder.

2 Likes

One thing I embraced with this journey is that one drink will not solve one problem, or six drinks solving six problems or 12 drinks… well you know the rest. Problems solved take a sound mind. I don’t think I’ve ever solved any problems of my own while drunk or high. Maybe I have but I don’t remember and that’s just as bad. Either way, I feel terrible not being able to fix any thing. Don’t get me wrong, I still struggle to solve any of my problems sober but at least I don’t drink over it, wake up with regret and put off finding a solution. To me and my alcoholic brain, that’s a win! I’d rather fail trying than fail by ignoring the problem all together. Cuz if I fail trying, I’ll learn what not to do next time.
idk bud. It’s a wild ride for me to even consider going through all this emotional and financial stress again. I legit just don’t want to. Being sober for two years is a blessing whether I acknowledge it everyday or not. One thing that keeps me going every morning is prayer and I use daily reflections for that. Check those out, they’re awesome!
You’ll get that year again! You know what it takes and the work required to succeed.
Keep up with us here and that’ll help for sure =)

You’re here at least. That’s good. Just try to focus on learning from the experience and face forward. You know you can do it. A year is a long time. Good for you for doing that.

I’m sorry that you have relapsed. Well done on coming back here and starting again, that takes strength. Your year is not lost, you still have that and all of the experience and lessons that it has taught you. Be gentle with yourself… this battle is HARD! We are here with you, you are not alone my friend. :pensive:

3 Likes