Saving my life

On day 3 of sobriety. Had a real health scare, and decided I didn’t want to die from drinking at 43.

12 Likes

Welcome Sean. I’m proud of you for deciding to become sober and obtaining 3 days.

I highly recommend checking in daily to keep focus in the checking daily to maintain focus thread.

I also recommend finding some activities to fill time like, running, cycling, working out, meditation/mindfulness, crafts, drawing, reading etc.

Mindfulness is also useful to put less weight on thoughts, making shame and guilt smaller.

I also recommend reading on this forum a lot on this forum and asking questions if you have any.

I too recommend giving your an addiction a name. This might seem weird, but it really helps because addiction becomes more clear that way.

You can make sobriety a lot easier. It’s really hard to think about staying sober for the rest of my life. If I think, do I want to stay sober for the rest of my life? I think hell no. But I can and want to stay sober for today. The next day, I also think I can stay sober for today. and so on.

Don’t think about not using for life but think about not using today. Do that every day, and it gets way easier. If you are very deep in the shit, you can even think, I’ll stay sober the next 5 minutes.

Don’t listen to your mind, your mind will not stop being a dick, it will be a dick less and less, but it will never fully stop being a dick.

If you have cravings, just play the tape. By that I mean, pretend that you abuse again, then try foreseeing the future. Will it be all butterflies and roses, because you feel so awesome when relapsing, or will it be shame, self-disgust and disappointment you feel.

When your mind tells you that you can use once, that’s bullshit, the biggest bullshit ever. Your addiction just tries to find a way to get satisfied.

I also recommend following the twelve step-program with a sponsor.

I hope this helps

Good luck, you’ve got this. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind words and advice. I intend to keep moving forward toward a life with less pain and hurt. Not only for myself, but for those in my life who have had to watch me go through Hell.

3 Likes

That’s a very honourable couse

1 Like

Welcome to TS! I’m a year older than you, and right there with you on this is about choosing life over death. TS is a huge help in me staying sober among other tools in my toolkit. You will like it here.

1 Like

I think it will be good for me to be able to talk to others when all the emotions start hitting me without the numbing out of alcohol. Thank you!

5 Likes

Hey Sean ,I’m glad you’ve made that descion,as we all have so much living and lost time to make up for , I find the journey so exciting at times yes it’s work I put in daily but that work on ourselves pay’s off and we really do reap what we sow.:pray:

2 Likes

I agree, and it’s a good time to start sowing happiness and accountability. I’ve put off the things im good at and love for my addiction for far too long. Thank you!

1 Like

Best wishes on your journey toward health and happiness. I’m fairly new to it all too. Shy of 29 days. Welcome… lots of supportive people here. Don’t hesitate to reach out! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much! And 29 days is a miricle! The longest I’ve been able to go in at least 4 years is 14 days.

3 Likes

Good luck you can do this… I’m an addict of meth and have 2 babies I know I will lose if I continued down the destructive road I was on… I’m now 9 months 12 days clean and everyone starts at day 1 just stay strong you can do it!

2 Likes

welcome, sean! yea… dying from alcohol abuse at 43 is not it. glad you’re here! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you! Im pretty sure I won’t see my next birthday if I continue down this road. I’ve got a lot of healing to do, but I’d rather heal and be on the mend, than die a broken person.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Welcome! Some people have found it helpful to write out how they are feeling for something to keep with them and refer back to later. Glad you are here!

2 Likes

I am too, and thank you!

Welcome! This place is a good place to be.

And thank goodness a dear friend directed me here. Thank you!

2 Likes