Scared but determined to make it through 2017 sober

So after 2 months of sobriety i relapsed for a month and It ended, once again, in an extremely horrible way. I always start drinking little, then think i will we fine, end up drinking loads after like 3 weeks of slow drinking, and make a complete fool out of myself. Well, i am now determined to make it through 2017 sober! But i am also scared what life will be like… But hey… Cant be worse than the hangovers and vomiting… In public.

9 Likes

I’m with you. This will be my first entirely sober year. I need it or I will die. My actions are progressively more dangerous when I drink and I can’t do that to my 9 year old son.

1 Like

@Laualamp, try taking one day at a time and seek outside help if you can. Looking at the entire year puts too much pressure on yourself and is a daunting task not that you won’t be successful.

1 Like

@Ttforthewin, I’m in the same boat and that boat has made this so much easier this time. I have a 5 year old and bottom line is if I don’t quite drinking, the drink is going to kill me. That and the fact I now hold a deep resentment towards alcohol has made these 23 days sober seem like child’s play. Good luck to you my friend!

1 Like

Thank you for the replies :slight_smile: i don’t have children but i also feel i will kill myself or something else irreversible will happen if i continue my drinking pattern. One day at a time but still determined for the whole year as well. :slight_smile:

Oh wow, @Juli liked this old post of mine and it was… Kinda eerie reading it. I was feeling so hopeless 168 days ago, and am in a much better place right now. Staying sober is so so worth it!!

5 Likes

Great job. It’s incredible when you realise how far you have come, and just think how many wonderful things are ahead as you progress on this journey. I was the same, a few drinks over a few weeks, it crept up on me, then BOOM! The ticking time bomb went off.

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: Yep,and it’s good to be reminded how easily I can slip back to my old habits. There is no “just one drink” for me in the long run, even if I can have only one for a night, eventually it will be 10 again.

1 Like

Exactly! Definitely gave me a boost! :sunny: