Scared to go to A.A

I’m 22 and finally want help to put an end to my destructive habits. The only problem is I’m too scared to go to A.A. I’ve attended SLAA meetings and got so overwhelmed I had to leave and am anticipating the same happening. I guess I’m worried that people won’t take me seriously . I’m young and have support and honestly decided to get help early in my addiction. It would just be nice to have support from people who understand what is going on through my head and why I can’t “just stop.” Any advice?

6 Likes

Keep trying different groups until you find one you like. People will come and go, but when I found one that just clicked it was very beneficial to me.

5 Likes

They have lots of young person meetings. Does it have to be AA? Dharma Recovery is out there as well as smart recovery…keep seeking

4 Likes

Take a look at this thread - it has the experience of folks going to all sorts of groups, live and online. Resources for our recovery

3 Likes

Hi Jess, welcome. So many of us have been there. It’s scary. We’re scared because we’ve been running for so long. We’re scared of facing life, without running.

The thing about attending a meeting is it is the place you find people who understand. They’ve been in your shoes. You won’t feel alone. Yes you have work to do. But you aren’t doing it alone.

Go to the meeting Jess. You’ll be glad you did.

4 Likes

I am 40 days sober. I researched several groups and AA wasn’t a fit for me. Do some research and maybe try and AA meeting. You will find something that helps. For me it was group meetings with past clients of a residential treatment center. Good luck and keep us posted

1 Like

Thank you Jake. I’m shy too which is part of why I am hesitant. I guess I’m also scared that it won’t work for me and being upset about that. On top of that I make up pathetic ex uses not to go. Thank you for the encouragement.

1 Like

I had never heard of that before. Will do!

Good for you dude. I wish I stopped at 22!

AA didn’t feel right for me but it can be helpful. I found “Lifering” much more comfortable and helpful. You can even attend and just listen if you’d like (just add “just listening” to your name. However, I highly recommend sharing a little as it’s extremely helpful. There’s no pressure or steps or sponsors or praying, just people like us talking and helping one another. Lifering.org is the site. Look for meetings marked “HWYW” for “How Was Your Week”. Most meetings are that format but some do work out of a workbook and some have specific help topics like liver problems or othet specific groups. I also attend “Smart Recovery” meetings. Those are similar to Lifering but has some educational material involved in the meetings as well. Knowledge is power and very helpful.

Good luck! Early days can be tough but it gets better.

2 Likes

Nobody in AA wanted to be there. Its the largest group of people that nobody wanted to join.

I was scared shitless, but I went. its been good for me.

3 Likes

I am 43 and went to my first AA meeting 2 years ago. I wish that I had gone sooner. I was scared, I was emotional, and didnt want to go. But, I made myself go. I wish I had gone earlier in my life. Echoing what has already been posted, find a group that you like. An all womens group has a lot different vibe than a regular group. I would think the same would be true for a group dedicated to younger people. Like with a lot of other things in life, the first time is difficult but it gets easier. Anyone I have interacted with in a group has been kind and accepting. They were once where you are now. Do what works best for you. Hope this is helpful.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

if it doesn’t work out in AA your in very good company on here so you’ll find loads of support and advice, all you gotta do is ask but even more important is listen and take action.

1 Like

Try doing some zoom meetings. Your more anonymous in those and it can get you comfortable with the formats.

1 Like

If you work the program and follow directions you will be fine.

1 Like