Search for help please

God where to begin. I have always struggle with mental healt issue. So 3 mouth ago, my doctor diagnose my bipolar. Its kind a hard to accept still 3 mouth later… And from this Time many things are going wrong and now , Day by Day i struggle with the desire to drink or Do drug… I Win each Day for now but am really scrare to drink again after 1 year ans 2 mouth sober… any advice please ?

8 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

Love this very positive!!

1 Like

You might ask the doctor that diagnosed you what resources are available in your area. Maybe a local mental health center or peer support group could help. Asking for help is an important step and you’ve done that. Great job! You can do it.

4 Likes

Thanks, I share what I apply

1 Like

Welcome Samuel! :wave:

Mental illness / mental health and addiction go together soooooo often. So often. It’s one of the greatest problems in the world today. Millions of lives torn apart because addiction is something we discovered by accident - usually we discovered it when we were young and found it numbed us, “relieved” us - but eventually we realize it has buried us.

The good news is there’s something you can do. I would do two things:

Where do you live? We may be able to find some links.

5 Likes

Thank you … yeah a know i dont want to broke all this time sober … i Will go truh i juste need to remember how i was back then. Because you’re right mental healt and alcool and drug cant ne use together … IT Will just be worse .

2 Likes

Hi i live in rivière-du-loup, Québec, Canada :sweat_smile: but yess you are totally right !

1 Like

Ah rivière du loup quelle belle ville! Les chutes, la rivière, la verdure - c’est tout à fait un endroit qui parle direct avec la cœur. Je n’ai jamais visité rivière du loup - la ville de Québec est le plus loin pour moi, jusqu’à maintenant - mais j’espère avoir occasion de la visiter un jour.

Il y a plusieurs Québécois.es ici à Talking Sober et je suis sûr que tu les trouveras avant longtemps.

Myself I live in English Canada but I was fortunate to be in French Immersion as a kid. I am grateful to my mother for signing me up for that! (She grew up in Alma, QC, on lac saint jean)

The Quebec government has some sites with starting points, numbers to call, and those people can probably point you in the direction of sobriety groups and counsellors who can help start you on a sober path:

I live with mental illness / mental conditions too (ADHD and mild depression) and for many many years I self-medicated with my addiction. Getting sober for me has been about learning to value myself and understand myself, and how to “ride the wave” of my thoughts and emotions, using mindfulness, positive self-talk, and other cognitive and emotional tools, to keep me sober. Also it has involved lots of asking for help! In the early days I had a really hard time asking for help. It was a strange feeling, to ask for help. But I am learning more and more how to ask, and be comfortable connecting with people and asking for support.

You’re a good person Sam and you deserve to live a safe, sober life where you can be your full self, unveiled by addiction: living free.

3 Likes

Wow thank you am so Grateful for what you’re saying. Je suis québécois français, désolé si je brise mon anglais :sweat_smile: but yeah i think after all this Time i.would need a sponsor toi help me throug the ruff Time . Am a le toi.controle myself for a long Time but when the thing goes all the way wrong i am sensitive. Where in english Canada are you coming from ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not at all - your English is fine. I just like having a chance to practice my French!

If you need a sponsor, AA is a good place to start. There are several meetings in Rivière du Loup:

https://aa-quebec.org/aaqc_wp/meetings/?tsml-region=riviere-du-loup

If you’re looking for something online - and that can be really nice, especially because you can go to different time zones so you can find a meeting almost 24 hrs a day, whenever you need someone to be with, some people to talk to (because it’s natural to want to talk with people; we need a balance of solitude and togetherness) - there are many many virtual meetings based in France, at many times of day, so you can easily find a meeting to attend at the times the Rivière du Loup meetings are off:

There are also many English speaking online meetings:

Online meeting resources

Get to some meetings and find a place to share and connect. You will find a sponsor.

For where I live, I don’t share my specific city in the public forum, but I’ll send you a message.