Sentence completion

If i could change one thing about myself… ?

Focus more on my own life and go back and not worry about trying to fit in or be the popular guy “cool kid” because the path i chose I’ve learend is not a very promising one.

Lets hear what you guys would change if you could?

5 Likes

If I could go back and change one thing about myself it would be my choice to not seek help sooner.

I thought I was alone and no one is alone if they just ask for help.

4 Likes

I had to think hard about this question lol At first, my reaction was very easy… i would want to change my past as a child who was sexually exploited and who then entered into prostitution as an adult bcuz alot of trauma and drug use came from that. But then i thought well i wouldnt be the person I am today without all of my experiences. So would i really want it to be changed? Not really.
I think if i could change anything about myself, it would have been how i treated other people. I wouldve wanted to change myself and my behaviors especially towards my family… to somehow prevent my mom from getting ptsd bcuz of me, or from simply not being there for funerals or for support during hard times. I make a very concious effort today to celebrate holidays, to talk to my mom on a daily basis, even to chat with my dad n brother who dont always initiate conversations with me. Its important that im involved and present even tho i live tbousands of km away. I guess its my version of making amends

6 Likes

I would choose not to be so afraid of change.

5 Likes

I would not care so much what other people think of me. It really can be dehabilitating. And it is so pointless, I don’t like everyone, why do I want everyone to like me? And it leads to so much more, me adjusting myself to suit others, being afraid to speak my mind, being frustrated with my life and not having the balls to change it because I am worried about upsetting people.

10 Likes

I would be a non drinker.
Like I am today but without an addicted brain to struggle with sometimes :face_with_spiral_eyes:

6 Likes

I CAN change and I AM changing myself. If I didn’t believe I could change, all of this would be utterly useless. Most people call it Recovery I prefer to call it my journey of Discovery. Working my ass off to change myself. Not trying to survive life no more, but instead to simply live my life. Living instead of surviving. And I’m going places. One day at a time.

9 Likes

……I would have been the captain of my own ship and not loose direction due to pleasing others and what others might think. Have two places for therapy at the moment one is kind of overwhelming me right now. Just came back from the other, she suggested I take back the lead of my own recovery, she’s perfectly right.

4 Likes

I have and now my whole life has changed. The only change I made was don’t pick up another drink or drug.

5 Likes

I wouldnt change a damn thing. I made all the right decisions to survive life this far, and I have so much life experience from it all, I would never want to throw it all away. Not even 1 part. Besides you know what they say about having one foot in the past…

Its just time to start thriving instead of surviving now.

3 Likes

Amen-Well said.

2 Likes

I would change how I let anxiety rule my life. I am trying to make sure that this isn’t the case now. I’m changing and I want to get better. I deserve better!

2 Likes

I would have learned the coping skills I have now, 3 decades earlier. Things may have turned out a little bit softer & gentler…
Good post!

2 Likes