Share your routine or typical day?

I’m 48 days sober hoping to get to 50. It would really help me to learn how other people go about their sober days and get insight into what their daily timetable looks like? And how you fit in exercise, self care and fun?

I’m the main parent, cook, cleaner , driver and work full time (self employed). My husband is disabled and a drinker. I have no family support or involvement. I think my schedule looks like a usual parent at the moment. I wake at 6 and I am in bed by 9.30.

Now that my sleep patterns are more regulated and I am fully present with my children, I want to look at how I can work more exercise and find time for self reflection and planning. I am thinking if I start waking at 5am each day I would create a routine where I have an hour to myself and extra exercise. What does your typical day and schedule run like?

11 Likes

Hey @Rose4 congrats on 48 days sober!

Personally, i have to schedule exercise first thing in the am or life/excuses happen. So im up at 530am and hit the gym from 6-7.

3 Likes

Hi there. Happy 48 days!! I wake up and surrender to God. I sit in silence and just listen. God talks with me. Then I do my affirmation by writing them and saying them in a mirror. I read a meditation book and send a gratitude list to my close friends who are also in recovery. I goto work or class then spend time with my kids. I goto the gym with a friend. Then I goto a meeting. At night I do a 10th step with questions and I send it to my friends. If I have down time I call people or text my friends.

Hello!
This is a hard question as my schedule was different at different stages of recovery.
I first got sober during my work holiday (and as a uni teacher that holiday was quite long). So I was lucky enough to be able to have all day to do a meeting or listen to a podcast every day for about a month. And do exercise, clean, etc. It really set me on a good path.
Now, I am back at work, I fit in meetings and exercise on my day off in the week, and at the weekend. I am trying to meditate a little every day.

3 Likes

Thanks for your replies to this post. My father had a stroke so I had to be offline for a while. But so useful get your thoughts and insights.

I’m beginning to think that due to my caring responsibilities I have to find a way of creating a self care system that requires no fixed routine and is based around “whenever I can”, as all too often my days change and are impacted by those I care for.

1 Like

6am: Wake up, pour a coffee and a bowl of cereal, watch the news until 7am.
7.45am: Leave the house to drive the office.
8.30am to 5pm: Work!
5pm: Drive home, check in with wife & kids. Check if anyone needs anything, make a start on dinner.
6pm to 7pm: An hour in the gym.
7pm to 9pm: Dinner with the family, household chores.
9pm till 10.30pm: Watch sports, read, watch some Law & Order.

In bed by 11pm each night. I find keeping a (busy) routine very important these days. Keeps the mind from wandering elsewhere, and me away from drinking.

1 Like

I am a parent also and my son is a medically complex child. For the longest time i put myself and my needs to the back burner but being in recovery requires me to take better care of myself. I would love to have a routine that is set in stone bcuz i function better that way, but with my sons medical needs, appts, etc. I have to be creative.

There are certain things i do in the morning that are must haves for the morning. Prayer being one of them. I have to start my day on the right foot and get guidance from my Higher Power. Exercise is when i can fit it in. When my son goes to school, i can do it during that time but the days hes home I have to workout either at 530am or i alter my chocie of exercise so i can do it at home. For example, some days its yoga, some days its the gym, some days i work out with at home equipment like resistance bands, some days its just a nice power walk with my son in his wheelchair. I just make sure that i do something active.

During the day, i try to fit in some quiet time (this doesnt always happen but i try). Maybe do a quick meditation or some journalling. I like to read daily affirmations or something positive. I make sure i eat well.

Then self care occurs at night once my son is in bed. Shower, skin care routine, etc. At nights i plan the upcoming day to sort of see how i can fit things in.

As for fun? Well i havent quite gotten there yet lol but i do try and incorporate some hobbies into my schedule once in a while. Again depending on whats happening that week :slight_smile:

Its really great to hear from you and sounds like you’re doing amazingly to find space for yourself for self care and exercise.

Leaving my children in the mornings/evenings/weekends to go to the gym or an outside club of some sort is not a ‘routine’ option for me, its something that takes planning and external childcare which costs money if I can’t find a friend to help (finding time to nurture friendships is another massive ask of me, as if friends look after my children I have to return the favour which is another thing I have to fit in). So finding things to do at home, like you, has to be my way to go. Walks with the children is also a really great thing although they don’t manage to last long enough for it to be a real work out for me.

I’m not able to find time for myself after the kids get to sleep as I’m so tired by this point. So I’m looking at waking at 5am to try and break that cycle. I’ll see how I get on!!

1 Like