Should I fire my sponsee

Hello I have a sponsee I’ve been working with for about a year. But he hasn’t been working steps and recently relapsed and he is a good friend. I feel he would benefit from finding another sponsor being that he hadn’t utilized me in quit sometimes. How do I handle this situation?

1 Like

I’ve had sponsees ghost me and I’ve had sponsees get and stay sober. It sounds like you have the right attitude - you recognize it’s not working and you want the sponsee to succeed.

Talk to your sponsor about it and find a way to express your love and concern. I know that as a sponsee myself who relapsed, being called out on my lack of commitment hurt my feelings and helped me grow.

6 Likes

I had a similar situation with a sponsee. I talked to my sponsor about it, and she suggested that I fire this sponsee. I understood the reasoning behind her suggestion, maybe my sponsorship style just wasnt working with this particular woman. So i talked to my sponsee about it, I told her what had been suggested and I prayed. I talked to a few more women in the program who have multiple decades of very solid recovery and I got mixed answers. The end result came down to, it was up to me, my sponsee and our higher powers. What felt right for us and how were our recoveries being affected. I was open and honest with how i felt, what we needed to do and what wasnt going to work if we were moving forward together. I pray a lot, it works for me, a lot of times I dont have to make a move everything just falls into place.

6 Likes

I had a similar experience i sat my guy down explained that it might be better if he found another sponsor as he was effecting my sobriety with his actions but id still be here for him but not as a sponsor , he found a new one and is doing good

5 Likes