Should I make a daily diary to visualize the extent of my addictions

Hi everyone. Hope you’re all OK. :blush:
I was wondering I y’all think it might be a good idea to start a daily diary in which I write down all my compulsive behaviors and addictive consumptions. I was thinking about it hoping that “exposing” myself would trigger me and force me to change. I don’t know if it’s a good approach but as I’m very lonely on a daily basis, I’ve nobody to fight for, expect myself. And in two years, I still didn’t feel I was important enough to fight for myself… So nothing really changes except my problems’ awareness but that’s not enough… :sleepy:

11 Likes

Absolutely! I think that is an amazing idea. I’m kinda new to this forum but I have to say I really appreciate your post. Good luck but I have a feeling you don’t need it. You’re on the right path just by recognizing your faults on your own and to come up with this journaling idea, you’re proving your strength! I may do the same. Thank you.

4 Likes

If it works for you. Why not?
And you are worth fighting for. It’s a form of self love.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your motivating answer :blush: I’m gonna do it and stick with it. Hope it’ll help :wink:

Thank you for your answer. My fear was that maybe, this kind of diary would trigger myself… I don’t know. But your answer makes me realize that if it doesn’t work or if it triggers me, I can definitely stop. :blush::joy: So yeah nothing to lose

2 Likes

personally I do a nightly inventory of my day, what could I do better, was I thinking of others, did I fall into morbid thought or worry, do I owe an apology, was I kind and loving to others, etc. By looking at our actions today we can try and be a little bit better tomorrow. Remember it’s progress not perfection, this journey of growth and learning lasts your lifetime.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent idea! I’ll add that kind of inventory to my diary. :blush: Thank you for your help

I have a daily diary and it has helped me tremendously. It has helped me keep accountable, but I can also see what behaviour was a sign of incoming relapse. And I hope it helps people with similar problems as me when they read it.

3 Likes

Is it an online diary?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a thread on here, it’s called: A look into the life of a crazy Dutchman

Ho great! I’m gonna look at it! Definitely convinced it will help me :blush: thank you :blush: :blush:

1 Like

No problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do what you have to do in order for you to stay on the right path.

1 Like

I just shared in a meeting last night about how helpful writing out my step six was. Step six is our character defects. The best part about it was looking to see which spiritual principle I could apply to each negative characteristic. I saw alot of the same spiritual principles coming up… self compassion, humility, acceptance for example. And suddenly it clicked… its not that I am this completely tainted human being full of evil shit… I have just allowed myself to be emptied of all the goodness and that is fixable, one day at a time.
So if you are going to list all your obsessive and compulsive behaviors make sure you look into a way to make it better, what can you apply instead, so there is some positive on that paper.

Getting healthy is hard work and I think your idea is a great one.
:heart:

4 Likes

I do step work with my sponsor… I answer questions from a book and write them down…
I have avoided step work for the decades I have been using alcohol and drugs…I thought I could do it without writing stuff down…never have been able to do longer than 6 months. It’s freeing to write stuff down,it’s honesty,and it’ll help to stay on a clean path.:rainbow::pray::star2::pray::rainbow:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. That’s very good pieces of advice. I’m gonna start it right now :blush::heart::muscle:t2:

1 Like

Thank you so much! All of you definitely convinced me :blush: