Should I make a YouTube channel covering Game/Screen addiction

I have been considering making a YouTube channel covering gaming and screen addiction for quite some time. About 300 days I think. How bad of an idea would that be? My mind says don’t, my heart says do. I’ve prayed about this, but never received a clear answer.
I’ve wanted to make a YouTube channel since I was 11 and to this day it still is a dream of mine. I honestly believe that it will give me strong external motivation. And I honestly believe that I can help a lot of people by sharing my journey through a bigger medium than TS.
Time to address the elephant in the room though. It has risks. Despite rarely craving YouTube, it still is quite a dangerous place for me.
For me the pros weigh more than the cons, but I’m biased.
What is your opinion on it?

5 Likes

I’m sure the irony is not lost on you. That would be like if I made a sobriety podcast while in a bar.

However, you do have something to say that could help people and if that is how you can reach them, then using it as a tool for recovery could be beneficial. Maybe have a 3rd party manage it for you? That way, all you have to do it make the content and the management is done behind the scenes?

While risky, I think it can help others, and I am all for helping others.

5 Likes

wouldn’t you just be feeding your own addiction, I would never down 10 pints to show someone how to stay sober. Look deep mate and be honest about your motives and whether this is ultimately healthy for you at this present time.

3 Likes

Knowing you Jan, I wouldn’t think at this current time it’s a wise idea. Look after yourself first :thinking::pray:

3 Likes

The irony is deafening, you speak of screen addiction and use a video on a screen to speak of it,

Honestly maybe a wordpress site would bear a blog of sorts, the key would be writing and then finding a way to direct traffic to it, I have done thus before takes a bit to get going but can be useful

4 Likes

So you want to spend time in front of a camera, computer, and editing software to help others understand that your channel is ironic?

Look at it this way…

To show people the harmful effects of smoking, I will smoke in front of people.

Um.

How does that help my sobriety?

Write a book, record a podcast and have someone else upload it for you, or… crazy idea here… focus on your school work first.

5 Likes

Ultimately the choice is yours Jan, but I think these are all excellent ideas. Just from reading your posts here I can tell that you’re an excellent writer so a book could be a great idea.

3 Likes

just like your name that would be Crazy, get out for walks join a youth club ,do some volunteer work your young , what good is going on u tube when you say your addicted to it ?, maybe get your ego in tune with reality, hard words but your young maybe join a young addiction site were the people are in your age group .what every you do son wish you well.

4 Likes

Hell no, you are completely forgiven :slight_smile:

I had not thought about that yet. That is indeed a big risk, thanks for bringing it up.

I’ve decided to not start a YouTube channel for now. Maybe in the future, but not now

7 Likes

Now I kind of actually want to dona sobriety podcast from a bar. I think the irony might actually make it popular. I agree that a youtube channel for screen addiction is a bad idea, but the laugh I got when I read “sobriety podcast from a bar” made me think thats actually not a terrible idea.

1 Like