Shrooms in recovery? Possible trigger

Yeah it sucked. Not gonna lie.

Most everything I hear about shrooms is anecdotal. I did read a article on pharmaceutical grade MDMA and PTSD clinical studies that showed promise but it seems to be in its infancy.

There are folks who used marijuana medicinally and no longer use there d.o.c. So I kind of believe sobriety is a big spectrum of folks trying their best to be and feel ā€œnormalā€. Whatever that may be for youšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I have benefitted from marijuana because I have a medical condition that is a wasting disease and honestly I would die without it. I donā€™t use it to escape in the way I used other drugs like crack or cocaine or heroin. A blanket statement that drugs are bad to recovery isnā€™t applicable to everyone. There are tools and then there are vices and addictions.

I have no opinion on anyoneā€™s sobriety. I find the topics of peripheral drug usage, and non drug of choice interesting. It all really begs the question of what is sobriety in the first place.

I know alcholics that use marijuana and they live productive lives without calamity. I canā€™t judge anyone.

2 Likes

Yes agreed, it is interesting. I was going to post about this yesterday but couldnā€™t get the words. Still not sure I can quite, but Iā€™m going to give it a go.

I have thought about trying mushrooms because I have heard about their mind opening properties. Anecdotally I have heard some good stuff about them - but then again others have a less profound and/or negative experience. Psilocybin is being tested in antidepressants so maybe there is something to it.

There is the argument about using a drug to get sober. There is also the question of whether it is just looking for a quick fix, when actually dealing with misery (my reason for thinking about mushrooms anyway) is a long term thing that takes practice and patience. But I take antidepressantsā€¦ Which is using a drug and trying for a quick fix - Iā€™m not saying itā€™s exactly the same but there are definite similarities. Just because something is medicalised doesnā€™t mean itā€™s healthy. And there are plenty of other unhealthy things we can do to ourselves and stay sober.

I just end up in a big pile of I donā€™t know šŸ¤·

2 Likes

This is the dilemma though isnā€™t it? I thought about using pot when I first got sober, but then soon realised that I was just going to be substituting one thing for another.
But the doctor put me on a low dose SSRI for anxiety!
I figured because itā€™s controlled and Iā€™m not going to abuse it Iā€™m save.
But also, I still have the option to hang with friends who do coke, Eā€™s etc. And just have a fun weekend. Is this sober?
My problem was alcohol wasnā€™t it?
No my problem was masking my issues with life that I couldnā€™t cope with by using anything to escape.
So I could see me using anything at all could lead to a long term problem.
Iā€™m an addict, I have as addictive nature, be it drugs, alcohol, chocolate or binging Netflix.
Still leaves the SSRI though? :thinking:
@Yogibear, seriously think about your reasons. Donā€™t believe any hype.

5 Likes

Here is a confession you might glean something from. I had read about hyubusca(sp) and found a place that does it in state.

I wanted to get a white light experince. My sponser and I were talking about it and one of the members walks over and says "have you ever read the bible, my answer was ā€œnoā€. He asked how many religious texts have you read, my answer was ā€œnot manyā€. He further asked if I had guided meditation, breathing excercises, going to church. I answer all questions a no or not really.

He said why dont you at the very least try some of that shit before you go off taking some drug from south america.

The guy was spot on. Simply wanted to take a drug for something I wasnā€™t willing to work for first.

It is a interesting topic and I hope it can be discussed.

4 Likes