Sitting outside my first AA meeting in four years

Don’t know if it’s going to be for me, but it starts in 20 minutes and I’m sitting in my car nervous as balls.

I’ve watched a few people walk in and sort of look at me with a smile, so I have no doubt that people will be nice, but the thought of talking has got me clammed now.

Wish me luck?

6 Likes

You don’t have to speak if you don’t want to. Just listen. They may ask if there are newcomers, I would encourage you to raise your hand and let people welcome you, it’s a nice feeling. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Its going to be okay! You can do this! Put your big girl panties on and get in there lol. You dont have to talk but like Serenity siad, introduce yourself… people will be glad you are there! Meetings are great! Let us know how it went…

3 Likes

Hopefully you’re in there right now. Let us know how it goes! :grin: As others have said you don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to. But as a nervous/timid/anxious person I have found great freedom in raising my hand to let people know that I am feeling nervous, shy, timid etc. It’ll only take a few seconds, and then whenever you feel awkward just remember everyone in the room already knows you feel nervous, so they’re going to be understanding. You’d be amazed how sometimes people can really pull through for you and meet you more than halfway if you tell them what you need.

5 Likes

I just got home from my 1st meeting in YEARS also. The difference today was that I’m a Mom now and hearing from other Moms gave me hope.

4 Likes

How did it go ? I think u are brave for atleast try . Yes all inside knows how it is to be New, you are not alone :slight_smile: breath and just hang in there .

I’ve met 2 moms from my daughter’s school and it’s so nice to have those sober friends!

1 Like

It went actually pretty good :smiley: it was a little religious for my taste, but I kept an open mind and found that the regulars there called each other “family”, they were super open arms with me, sharing stories, very kind and understanding people. They all had a laugh because I was the youngest by a long shot, but they we’re all still much more inviting that I originally anticipated.

I’m not a terribly shy person so I did end up sharing, but in the end I’m glad I did once my nerves cooled a bit. I think I’ll try another next week. I don’t know if it’ll be the change I’m craving, but it was fun hanging out with like minded people (even if most of them were twice my age haha)

11 Likes

Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me :slight_smile: it wasn’t as scary as I thought it’d be

9 Likes

Super happy for you!!

2 Likes

Good luck.

I get it. I felt the same way once. I usually ended up at the bar next day.

Now, when I hear laughter and smell cheap coffee wafting down the hall… I know a meeting is about to happen and I feel at home.

Hope it went well.

2 Likes

I’m glad too

1 Like

Super cool pal!! Sounds like a good group. I can’t believe you shared!! Lol. It took me 7 or 8 meetings before I shared. I was very emotional those first few weeks. :flushed:

2 Likes

Glad to hear!! And I love that you said you kept an open mind–that is a great attitude. You might look around for a young people’s meeting too, try some different ones. Depends where you live but I’ve seen one for young people near me on Saturday nights. I’m too old to qualify for it though, lol.
Also keep in mind that although the word God is used a lot in AA, for purposes of the steps and recovery, your Higher Power doesn’t have to be God.
So glad you went and got something out of it!

2 Likes

Someone in my old IOP used here water bottle as her higher power. Seriously, no joke. She said it gave her a solid object to stream all the “God stuff” into. She actually had an interesting way of viewing and morphing the higher power talk into her physical object.

2 Likes

Hope you went in.

:peace_symbol:

Just went to my first meeting!!! It was pivotal! Hope you find a pearl of wisdom.

2 Likes

One lady there made me laugh, her name was Igna, very old woman, probably European with her accent, and she said

“Some people don’t like saying they are alcoholics. They get discouraged by saying they have a ‘drinking problem’. Well, I came here to tell you that I don’t have a drinking problem…”

“I have no problem drinking. I can down a six pack like nothing. It’s the STOPPING I have trouble with”

:joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

I’m glad it worked out for you. It gets easier every time you go.

Why wait till next week? Should be 2-3 meetings a day available to choose from.

AA meeting joke: “I go to all the meetings, they said one per day, but never said which one”

2 Likes