Six Months - a new life

This morning I woke up with my counter showing 0y 6m 0d. It really is hard for me to believe this has happened. After 2 years of near constant relapses how have I made it 6 months without a drink.

The thing is I am a different person now. I am no longer quitting drinking…instead I don’t drink. It may seem like an odd comparison but I really view this as quite similar to going vegan. For a long time I would say in my head “I can’t eat that” but now I have no interest in it and I now say “I DON’T eat that”. I’m starting to even tell people in my life “I’ve stopped drinking”. It’s no longer “trying” it is just fact. I’ve stopped.

I’m not saying that I don’t still get tempted by the booze in my house but it is certainly much less often and they are more like a fleeting thought that I can tell to piss off right away.

Who knows what the next 6 months will bring but today feels good.

I’m off to the garden centre today to buy some tomato plants and fresh seeds for my vegetable garden. Today I will not drink.

33 Likes

Congratulations @VSue!

Congrats! That’s amazing. It’s so satisfying to see the milestones of people you’ve been with on the forum. I will plant tomatoes, too to celebrate your day!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your first 6 months! Such an awesome shift, you are doing really well and I love having you here!! What’s your absolute favorite change so far?

1 Like

Ahhhhmazimg @VSue massive congratulations!

I can believe it, you have worked really hard. Congratulations. You are an inspiration to so many

1 Like

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you!

Congratulations lady!:two_hearts:

2 Likes

That’s a great question @MandiH

I’m not sure I can put my finger on any in particular. I definitely like sleeping a full night (no 2am hate fests) and waking up hangover free.

But I think I mostly like not having alcohol always on the brain. I like that I don’t spend my day counting down to wine o’clock. I like not thinking that every discomfort must be solved with alcohol. I like not needing to calculate how many drinks I can have and when I need to stop before driving (my math was never very good anyway…I surely drove over the limit all the time). I LOVE that my daughters see these changes too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Congratulations! I loved your comparison with being Vegan. It’s just that!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations! :bouquet: I love how you describe the change in your state of mind

Congratulations x

Congratulations. It must feel soooo good🎉

Heck yes it does! This is awesome, @VSue. Live it up! :partying_face: You’ve been a real inspiration to me, working the heck out of this thing and doing whatever it takes.

Here’s to another day in the life. :heart:

Well, that made me a little teary. Thank you.

1 Like

Congratulations! Such an inspiration to me! I’m almost one month. I can’t wait to feel this way! :two_hearts:

Congratulations! Very well done :blush:

Congrats to my ‘almost twin!’ So so happy for you!

1 Like

Way to go! Congratulations on 6 months :heart: