SMART recovery- experiences?

Has anyone gone to SMART recovery meetings before? If so, how do you find them? I’m interested in the scientific approach and found a meeting nearby this upcoming Tuesday. Thinking of using this in addition to AA (which I need to get my butt to ASAP). Hoping to get some insight before going!

2 Likes

I have not…but I think there have been a few discussion threads about this before if you want to try a search on SMART.

@Bill_Phillips and @Englishd may have some insight for ya :slight_smile:
Also, there is a search bar at the top right of your screen. You can type Smart Recovery in there and older threads will pop up

1 Like

Hi @coco. I go to smart meetings…I am based in the UK… I find them very helpful…my meeting is a group session of people mostly with alcohol issues…we check in at the beginning saying what sort of week we have had… triggers, successes or lapses…we set an agenda to talk through e.g. cravings, lapses, cross benefit analysis…all sorts really… meeting lasts 1.5 hours and then we do a check out… what we liked about the meeting or something we found useful…the quality of the facilitator is crucial…we have a good one…pm me if you want more info :grin:

2 Likes

I knew there was someone I forgot to tag that goes to Smart! Hehe. Thanks for sharing pal

1 Like

Also I know that @joy_speaks_too has gone. I hope she is doing well:)

1 Like

I will dig up my old thread after work as well. I’m thinking about hitting the meeting again tomorrow

1 Like

Can you tag me too please?

I love SMART! It’s easy to follow, definitely more scientific approach. Taught me how to recognize my triggers, how to prevent them from turning into urges, as well as how to get through urges when I do have them. It can be used for any type of person.

Continuing the discussion from AA/NA vs SMART:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link is very useful knowing what is SMART. It was the first time in life I heard about SMART

I went to a LifeRing meeting once. Except for the group leader, everyone in attendance was an AAer. The meeting was basically an AA meeting without God or a higher power being mentioned - LifeRing is secular. The only real difference was that at LifeRing meetings, cross talk is permitted. After the meeting we all agreed to meet at an AA meeting across town. One of the attendees would be reveiving her 90 day chip.

3 Likes

I want to go. What the hell Syracuse, why don’t we have this.