Smoking pot?

Hi guys! I’ve been free of alcohol for 35 days! I have been taking a hit of weed before bed for the past couple weeks. I’ve never been a pot head but have enjoyed it recently. It doesnt increase my desire to drink, however I do feel a bit guilty bc it is mind altering. Thoughts? Opinions on smoking weed while abstaining from alcohol?

3 Likes

I don’t agree with it unless it’s a medical issue. If you’re altering your brain and body with any kind of drug that has nothing to do with a medical condition, you are still numbing out and just crossed over from your doc to still numb out. You’re not considered sober.

4 Likes

I had to stop smoking weed to help me to conquer stopping boozing and smoking ciggies :smirk:

2 Likes

I’ve not smoked it myself but the way I see it… when you’re addicted to drugs and you go sober you’re not allowed to drink either right? So I guess it should be the same for alcohol, if you’re abstaining from alcohol you should abstain from all drugs?

A drug is a drug etc. Exactly as @Melrm said, if it alters your brain/body then it’s a no go

4 Likes

It sounds like your trading one addictive substance for another. It’s really easy to do.

I’m not going to preach to you, but I’ve known lots of people who have just as much problems with weed as alcohol.

1 Like

Welldone on 35 days! You must be so proud. The way I see it is if smoking is not a problem then why not use it a bit to brake your drinking habit and help sleep etc. However, i would have an end plan so not to get into another unhealthy habit forming.

8 Likes

Is your aim to wean yourself off it once you feel stronger in your sobriety?
And it is a hit before bed - not getting stoned instead of wasted?
If so, you can’t change what you have been doing, it sounds like it’s working, if you CAN wean yourself off when you’re stronger I’m avoiding any opinion apart from why not as long as one monkey’s not going to replace the other!

I’ve never been a pot smoker so it isnt something I need to wean off. It is just a hit before bed bc I dont like feeling “stoned.” If it were gone tomorrow I wouldnt care or jump to get more ya know?

2 Likes

However, I do want to becareful not to replace one thing for another. Idk…still trying to navigate this whole sobriety thing.

3 Likes

Well, 35 days is a great point to be at @JenKaye!
If you’re confident with what you’re doing, do it.
And if you notice a change that’s not positive, adjust accordingly.

3 Likes

I was reading the other day about “cross-addiction” , basicly going from one addiction to another. Like some people who go from quitting drinking to being addicted to food , for example.
I have to be honest , I have absolutely no problem with weed. I barely considere it a drug , I have seen so many people get so many benefits from it that it’s hard for me to considere it a “bad thing”.
But I think we have to have in consideration the fact that we all have “addictive personalities” , we have tendency to get obsessed with things , and it could be potentially dangerous for us.

I thought about getting some pot to smoke a little before bed like you , but then I stopped myself.
I think I will use my addictive personality on something else , like work , or fitness , or something else , instead of again sitting on a couch and get “relaxed”. Seems to me that I would be using it with the same purpose as drinking. Again , would be trying to fool myself.

3 Likes

Well I’m very thankful for this post! I have in my freezer a ton of different pain killers. I injured my back and my doc gave me way more then I needed and my son had shoulder surgery and he to was prescribed a ton of pain killers. Over these past few days I’ve been wondering if it would be okay to take a couple of pain killers to help get through the first days, weeks of sobriety. However, now that I’ve read this thread I see it’s only trading one addiction for another.

Now my problem…how do I safely dispose of all of the narcotics? They are in the freezer so that they are out of reach and sight of my kids.

I think Marijuana can be so beneficial. I had high hopes (lol) of transitioning from alcohol to pot but it does absolutely nothing to me. Nothing. And everyone says, “Oh, you haven’t tried mine.” Still. Nothing.

4 Likes

Good point @Otka!

Thank you!

1 Like

We have a drop box at our local fire dept or police dept to drop natcotics :slight_smile:

1 Like

It all depends on what YOUR definition of sobriety means. If your goal is to just stop drinking then that’s what matters. But if you want to be “sober” by the textbook definition then you can’t have any mind altering drugs not prescribed by a physician. As long as it isn’t interfering with your own personal goals then I wouldn’t sweat it. The world has a backwords view on pot and booz. The booz should be considered a schedule 1 narcotic not pot. The withdrawal from pot is pretty much only mental i would compare it to nicotine withdrawel. Crabby and irritable. no physical pain… but you could die from an alcohol withdrawel it’s just crazy.

8 Likes

Totally agree with you @Steve92, it is backwards.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m sure mine does to so will get that done.

2 Likes

I never took a puff of a cigarette or weed - hard to believe since i was a child of the 70’s - but lots of great advice and opinions here on this topic!

3 Likes