So... Alcohol in cooking... Thoughts?

I think it’s definitely a personal choice. I think I’m more likely to order something cooked with alcohol at a restaurant than I would be to cook with it. Like penne with vodka sauce or something to that effect. As far as cooking with it myself? I can’t something the smell of it so that would have to be a no to me. We went to go swimming the other day. Someone, that wasn’t with us, was drinking rum. It smelled so strong, I almost puked…

1 Like

I have no problem eating things when I’m out where the alcohol is cooked off but wouldn’t touch desserts with uncooked alcohol. I haven’t personally cooked with alcohol at home and I wouldn’t want to but I’ve no problem with having it in the house, my partner drinks at home. Its not something I’ve thought about before but I don’t pour wine for others (unconscious decision I guess) and I wouldn’t want to be pouring or handling it for cooking. Personal choice I guess but uncooked alcohol would be a no for me

1 Like

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this question…it’s not something I’d thought of since I stopped drinking.

Tonight my mother in law suggested cooking with wine so I’m glad I was able to come here for a quick answer about whether or not it would be harmful for my sobriety. Thanks everyone :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah this has been great!! It’s been good seeing everyone’s perspective!!

1 Like

There are those of us that believe that we can have something akin to an allergy to alcohol. That if we consumed even the smallest amount of it that it Can trigger a craving that is beyond our control.

Do I have this allergy? No idea. But even after 3.25 years I am not willing to find out because I wanted to try cooking with alcohol. Just to big a risk for this old drunk :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve no problem it being in the house either. Infact there’s something in almost every cupboard of this house! (My mum gets gifted a lot and it tends to just sit in cupboards :joy:). It’s not been a temptation for me. I think if anything I might just do red wine miniatures if I need to cook with that, my mum doesn’t drink red wine and I would feel bad pouring 3/4 of a bottle out. Otherwise, I think personally I’d be happy to proceed with alcohol in my food. My personal relationship with alcohol isn’t a sip and can’t stop type or if it’s in the house I’ll drink it so I’m okay in the sense. And there doesn’t seem to be an overwhelming lean towards resetting if alcohol is consumed through food, so I think I’ll choose not to reset it. If however it leads to a liquor coffee, then I’d consider that a reset, for me at least.

1 Like

I keep cooking wine in the house at all times. It’s not old wine that is now only good for cooking. It’s the kind that is already cooking wine upon purchase and is absolutely unsuitable for drinking. There’s never been the least bit of issue with this for me. And I definitely don’t see it as me not being sober.

Idk about other stuff though. I have a friend who always has old wine on her counter for cooking. The sort that started off as drinking wine. This would absolutely pose an issue for me. Not because it’s in my food. It would never make it to the cooking process. It would be gone before it ever got the chance!

As far as it being present in the food, I personally don’t see an issue as long as it’s cooked off. I’ve never gotten buzzed off my pot-roast.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s true @Gabe.G, I can see how for some it may be like pushing a big red button. Personally I can have one and stop. It’s the binge drinking on occasion I hate, and that’s why I’ve chosen to go sober :blush: everyone’s different!

Buzz-ed off a pot roast :joy::joy: that’s a belter

1 Like

To add, it’s honestly never even occurred to me to go out and buy drinkable alcohol just cause I pulled the cooking wine out of the refrigerator. Cooking is one of those things where I really get lost in it, and it’s all that’s on the brain. So yeah, in every way I can imagine cooking wine never triggered me.

BUT one more thing to add, sobriety is not a one size fits all deal. If you have the question in your mind, maybe it’s for good reason. Maybe listen to yourself on this one. When in doubt maybe it’s best to err on the side of caution.

2 Likes

This is true, it’s so therapeutic isn’t it. It was one of few things I did tonnes of during my depression. It was more of a sobriety calculator resetting question than anything else for me :blush: others have used this app far longer and I wanted to see people’s take on it. But it’s been good to open the discussion for all! Definitely not a one size fits all! :blush:

1 Like

Sake is a staple ingredient in most Japanese dishes, so we have it in the house. Although on dark days I have drunk it, I am not a fan of “good” sake and the cooking stuff is even worse. I like white wine, so don’t buy it for cooking, too dangerous. I love tiramisu, so do buy it to eat, but wonder how much booze is in Costco tiramisu, I have eaten massive portions and not got even the tiniest buzz. I avoid liquor chocolates tho, too much like an actual drink in a chocolate cup.

1 Like