So... Alcohol in cooking... Thoughts?

I. Love. To. Cook.

And I’m Scottish, so if we can put whisky in something, we will.

I know with stews etc the alcohol cooks off and more often than not you barely taste the wine/brandy.

Sauces are different, white wine sauces and whisky sauces are meant to maintain their flavour… I can see how this could be a trigger point for some, but I wonder if it means that I am not sticking to sobriety?

Then there are deserts… Where alcohol is usually put into them and no cooking occurs… thus 100% of the alcohol that goes in stays there. Tiramisu, mojito cheesecakes, crannachin etc… I’m wondering if consuming something like that strictly broke my streak of sober days?

I’ve avoided alcohol in my cooking for the last 47 days. Predominantly just to be sure I would do a glug for the stew and a glug for me, but I’m wanting to get back to making some of my more typical recipes now. And am wondering what people’s thoughts are…

I don’t know the answer but I cook with wine. I can’t see the problem as there is no Alcohol in it once its cooked. I will follow this post to see if its allowed.

1 Like

As long as the alcohol is cooked out I dont see it as a problem, personally that wouldn’t trigger me although I choose not to cook with alcohol. Partly because of the sugar content and partly because I dont want alcohol in my house.

As you say, desserts like Tiramisu have raw alcohol in them, so I wouldn’t touch those.

True, that’s for them to decide.

2 Likes

When you cook with wine ECT… it cooks the alcohol out of it it’s not going to alter your mind but it maybe a problem just having it in your coubord or fridge it would be for me too much of a temptation

2 Likes

That’s my only real objection.

Alcohol burns off when you cook with it. In the early days of my sobriety I asked to not make sauces or marinades that had alcohol in the kitchen because holding the bottles themselves triggered me more than actually cooking with them. If you can get over that, you’re fine. It won’t be detrimental to your sobriety, I personally just had a problem in the beginning holding the poison in my hand.

2 Likes

I had no idea you made tiramisu with alcohol. But I usually don’t make dishes containing alcohol either because I don’t like it. But for example desserts that doesn’t or isn’t supposed to be in the oven or cook I know that you can use things like coffe syrup or liquid flavors to get the right taste. I do that with almond and arrak (arrak might be something else in English, but it tastes like a liquor we call Punch) we even have artificial whiskey flavor with no alcohol over here.

And for what I know there’s special wine for cooking that you aren’t supposed to drink, also I guess you can use a non alcoholic wine or non alcoholic beer for sauce and stews.

1 Like

I’d say just BC u cook with it doesn’t mean you need to reset.but having whiskey etc in house for cooking is another ball game altogether,maybe a soultion when u want to cook with it go buy a minucture to go in it so it’s never in home,or decide to stop cooking with it for abit

1 Like

if wine is asked, i use apple cider vinegar. i never come across recipes that ask for liquor and would just google what a good N/A substitute there is. never had hang ups with recipes due to alcohol being asked! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ha! This made me laugh @Allen! This is true! :joy:

Ah that’s quite cool @MrsOdh! I didn’t know you could get things like that! Might be something to look out for, because I do like the taste of whisky in sauces and deserts, just at the moment I didn’t want to affect my sobriety :grin: (also I have no idea what arrak is :joy:)

1 Like

Thanks, I kinda wanted to hear what folk thought as a reset-worthy use of alcohol! :blush:I did toss out a box of liquor chocolate for fear I might eat the box and actually end up drunk :sweat_smile:

I appreciated everyone’s replies! Having alcohol in the house for me is fine, thankfully, I know that’s not the case for others, and so far haven’t noticed holding bottles to be too tempting! Suppose it’s all down to personal preference and what people like in their food, some want to reduce sugar, some don’t like the flavour, or the smell would be too much etc. That’s all fair enough and thanks for sharing! :blush:

1 Like

I love cooking too. Personally, I’d be ok myself eating a dish with alcohol and not find it triggering (mussels in wine sauce, etc) but me cooking with alcohol is a no-go for me as I’m in earlier sobriety. The bottle of whiskey or wine would be tempting. I’m not ready for that. Also I remember back to my teen years. Dad was an alcoholic and had a terrible time after returning from a war mission. He went to detox and got sober for a year or so. One day I came home and he had a glass of red poured as he stood cooking by stove. I was in shock looking at it. He goes “I’m just having a little as I’m cooking with it”. It was all downhill from there for the next few years for him :disappointed: I don’t want to repeat history

2 Likes

Ooohhh muscles in a white wine sauce yes! You are speaking my language. But you wouldn’t feel the need to resent after eating something like that? I suppose that is a sensible call for yourself at home though. That’s a sad memory and one that explains why you choose to avoid using alcohol to cook at home altogether

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t reset after eating it. But that’s just me. I could cook musssels in beer, or do a beer can chicken and pour half out as it’s not my choice of drink, and hubby keeps tons here. But spirits like rum, vodka, whiskey etc I’m not ready to trust myself to have a partially opened bottle. Wine I could take or leave but a recipe calling for it, I’d use non-alcoholic just in case. But in a restaurant or if someone served me a dish, I’d be ok with it. Although I understand some aren’t ok with that. All up to our own comfort level I think :blush: but I’m not ready to cook with it myself

1 Like

I use white wine vinegar with my mussels, love sea food , crap, tuna, sword fish. lobster, prawns, shrimps, getting hungry now lol

3 Likes

possible alcohol trigger

I just learned that it doesn’t really exist every where and that the flavor itself comes from a special kind of rice wine, and that the specific flavor is used to make punch. I just assumed it was kinda the same thing.
But in Sweden the flavor is really popular in two different cookies/cakes/pastries I’m not really sure what to call them but they are probably Iconic for Swedish Fika. It’s arrack balls and punch rolls (even called vacuum cleaners)

I’ll see if I can find a picture for you, and the right English spelling would be Arrack.

1 Like

I don’t think it would be smart, if the alcohol damps it wouldnt be a big problem, but you would have booze in your house.i dont think booze in the house is smart