So got a date friday,i know im shocked to

Hi guys hope everyone is doing well and keeping up the good fight.
So if you dont know my story i seperated from my now ex wife jan 23 and was trying to get sober for a few years at minute im doing best ive ever done im over 6 months and love sober life and thats where the question comes in lol
I have a date friday night im not really worried about not drinking little nervous but also excited to do it sober however i am a bit worried if something goes wrong how id handle it.
But my question is when is it right if ever to tell her (them) that i have a problem with alcohol? I dont want to lie but i also worry it may scare people away.
Whats your thoughts my army of agony aunts :rofl:

8 Likes

Keepers will appreciate your honesty. Butt sore or standoffish ones got a problem of their own (not necessarily addiction/alcoholism) so best to wish them well & be on your sober way.
Hugs on 6 months!

7 Likes

Ah man. First of all congratulations on your time and on grabbing a date! I’m always honest with people when i first meet them. I just say I dont drink and eventually it comes up. :person_shrugging: but then again, we are all different and keep certain things private. Im too open sometimes :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

Are you sure your ready for it Chris? I know in AA they advocate staying single for a year or so… i feel like once your ready you’d be that secure in your sobriety youd know youd handle it? You know you better than anyone though i just want you to air on the side of caution…there is no rush…

1 Like

Sorry i wasnt very clear i meant if i was to get into anything serious again but at minute that is way off what i am looking for.

1 Like

She knows i dont drink as we are off to TGI fridays and she mentioned cocktails she didnt say anything then and i guess most people would be ok. Its sort of the stigma that “alcoholic” carries around im still not comfortable with.

1 Like

Then im a little confused in that case…not serious cant always be controlled…even casual dating can bring up strong emotions etc…god i sound like the fun police i know lol i dont mean to. As for the label i dont think any of us need that, im not dating yet but i tell my friends/new people that i had an issue with it and so stopped it altogether which usually gets a good response

1 Like

Lol fun police ,yeah true i guess as you say you have to do what feels right and at minute i feel strong enough to give it a go where say 3 months ago i wouldnt of. We have been talking for a few weeks so not rushed into it, which i think has helped.

1 Like

Well good luck with it plus you know you always have us here for support should you need it :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Kelly that is huge too :blush:

1 Like