So lost don't know what to do

Look for some help as I don’t know what to do. I have lost my mum for weeks ago and I really want to stop the drink. Any ideas on what j can do to kick this habit

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your mother. The only thing that got me to stop was AA. I did 90/90. Its the best recommendation I have. Go to a meeting and keep going. Honestly share how youre feeling. Theyll no doubt be someone there thats been through it and will help you. You are not alone. Youve already made a good start by posting here. Just dont pick up today. Make yourself stop 24 hours at a time. Dealing with your loss will be easier with a clear head not fogged by alcohol and drugs fucking with your emotions. You can do this. Sending good vibes and prayers your way.

4 Likes

Hey Stevie, I am very sorry for your loss. And I’m proud of you because you want to become sober despite the pain.

For starters, I highly recommend checking in daily to maintain focus, because then you will be more aware of your addiction and it will have a lot more struggles to creep up on you.
Here’s a link to a thread where you can check in daily.

It is also a good idea to find hobbies to fill the time you usually drink. There are lots of advantages to hobbies. They can improve both mental and physical health.
Activities like cycling, dancing, running, walking, swimming and working out are great to improve physical health.
Hobbies like drawing, writing, reading, crafts and mindfulness are great for improving mental health.
And of course, some hobbies are simply fun to do.

Mindfulness is also very useful for getting over guilt and shame. With mindfulness you learn not to pay a lot of attention to negative thoughts. It also helps you to get a better concentration.

Giving your addiction a name is very useful too. I named my addiction Brutus. Doing so helped me become more aware of my addiction and I know better what I’m fighting.

I also recommend reading on this forum a lot since there are lots of people on here with similar experiences. You can read how they dealt with those experiences and you will feel that you are not in this alone.

If I think about not gaming for the rest of my life, it scares me. But if I think I won’t game for today, the burden will be much smaller.

Don’t listen to your mind. Over time your mind has become a dick trying to kill you. By being sober your mind will be a dick less and less, but it will always be a dick.

If you ever have cravings play the tape. By this, I mean fast forward and predict what happens if you relapse. Will you be happy and jolly and dancing around the room or will you hate yourself and be filled with guilt, shame and self-disgust?

Your mind will tell you that you can drink just one glass of booze. That is BULLSHIT. You can not. Your mind is trying to kill you at such moments.

The past is something you can’t change, but you can however shape the future. You must never forget the past since it contains many life lessons and it tells you the mistakes you made so you won’t repeat them.

I hope this helps you.

I wish you good luck on your journey. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Hi,I’m sorry for your loss that’s really really a life changing experience losing a parent,my advice would be to allow yourself to greive become acquainted with your grief as you will be in eachothers company for sometime you may come to get attached to your grief and it’s with you always ,don’t push your feelings away acknowledge them accept them . unfortunately whist drinking or drugging that’s Gona be extremely hard so maybe a supppport network if AA isn’t something you would consider there’s plenty more out there like SMART RECOVERY, 121 SUPPORT DRUG AND ALCOHOL SERVICES,and may some greif counseling,I really hope you find your way. :purple_heart:

Sorry for your loss , meetings made it easier for me to stop and stay stopped maybe give one a try wish you well

1 Like

So sorry you’re going through this. My last relapse was when my ma passed, and I drank for 11 months afterwards.

Drinking didn’t ease the grief. Drinking prolonged the grief. Drinking compounded the grief. Once I quit drinking, I was able to process the grief, because I was actually grieving. And it passed more quickly than I had expected.

Decide to be better, then work to be better. When you do, all kinds of things get better. Sober is better. Start there.

3 Likes