Sober activities. Opinions?

Ones of the most importaint coping skills and one of my biggest things lately is finding something to do that helps with cravings and helps to occupy my time. An activity to get my mind off from using. Recently, I have joined a gym i go every other day to workout, I also write poetry and write entries in my journal on daily activities and how I am feeling. What are some of the things others on here do to get your mind off cravings and keep your sobriety?

4 Likes

I go on long drives, check out restaurants I have never been to, and crank up the music so I can’t even hear my own thoughts.
Also use gaming to help keep my mind off using.

8 Likes

Music is a big one for me as well I agree!

4 Likes

I love to draw, sew, play cards, clean and organize, cook, and garden (there is something so healing for me about making something grow)! Anything I can create with my hands is good as my fingers need to hold onto something other than the stem of a wine glass!

2 Likes

You can find any AA meeting at no cost!

Its customary to put a dollar or two in the basket, when you are ready.
No one is going to judge a newcomer that passes the basket.

1 Like

Running, hiking with my dog, taking dog to different dog beaches and parks, yoga, lifting weights, reading, cooking, bike riding, meditating, journaling, hot baths, listening to podcasts, gardening (can’t wait for spring so I can plant my veggie garden), crafts, shopping. Want to try painting, going to church, blogging, starting a business.

2 Likes

When I see you talk about this I have a vision of you molding various clay figures and sculptures :thinking:

So cool you are sharing that with your daughter

Keep in mind that cravings usually last 20 minutes only.
What helps me when I get a craving is telling myself this feeling won’t last and I try to trick my brain to do other things.
I find grounding really helps.
I also find positive affirmations very helpful.
Use positive self talk (I’m safe, I’m worthy, this feeling will pass, I love myself etc etc)
Also becoming more aware of my feelings helped because once I have a name for them then I can do something about them.
Cravings used to drive me crazy before I became more self aware. I started to look inward and take a step back and name the feelings I was having (fear, anger, self pity, rejection, guilt) figuring out what triggered it. Patterns don’t stop unless you start doing something different.
Anyways hope that helped!

3 Likes

I love diving into the water in the harbour or beach with my snorkel and marvelling at all the different fishes. It calms me

3 Likes

I am out of work since Christmas (it was a temporary role but my ideal job :frowning: ) so I have too much time on my hands yet seem to fill it!

I have 5 kids between 25 and 14 all still living at home so I’m rarely on my own. Between job hunting and studying I crochet, write and play games.

I also have the daily cooking, cleaning and washing to do.

But, one thing I am very aware of and need to get motivated about is getting up and out of the house! Any tips there would be gratefully appreciated! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Going to the gym is key for me. Not just for the work out but also the social atmosphere. Plus it takes up time lol

I was binge watching black mirror and went to see the new star wars movie almost every time I got a craving. I’ve seen it 9 times now…lol

1 Like

Take a night class to improve my career.

Use online video classes for the same.

Go to dancing lessons.

Play all kinds of board games at game meetups and game conventions.

1 Like

Will definitely force myself out for some kind of a walk tomorrow. Just feels odd getting out the house for no other real reason.

1 Like

I bought a metal detector over a year ago. Going out this weekend to a couple parks. Hopefully i can find a ring lol.

3 Likes

I’ve started learning Scottish Gaelic from the speak our language series. Watched all the black mirror new series which was excellent. Went to the cinema with my daughter which i really enjoyed. We will be going again next week. I’ve been cleaning alot and doing more cooking from scratch. Youtube can keep me distracted for hours lol

Learning Korean, working on my cooking skills, reading and playing soooo many games. I also play a mean air guitar when I’m really bored.