Cinnamon rolls
Dough
3 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon golden flax meal

4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast

1 cup + 2 Tablespoons warm water
½ cup sugar
1 cup (71 grams) [Regular Vegan Butter melted] – use Earth balance soy free version.
1 teaspoon salt

Filling
¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup Regular Vegan Butter or non-hydrogenated stick margarine, softened
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 tbsp cinnamon

In a small bowl whisk together the 3 Tablespoons water and the flax meal. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour and the yeast.

In another medium mixing bowl add the water, sugar, Vegan Butter, salt and whisk until well incorporated.
3)
Add the flax meal mixture to the bowl containing the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl containing the dry ingredients and stir to roughly combine.

Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and knead the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes. The dough should be firm and smooth, not sticky. Place the dough back into the mixing bowl, cover and place in a warm place like on top of the stove for 1 hour. After 1 hour has passed, knead the dough for about 30 seconds and let it rest for 10 more minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, Vegan Butter, maple syrup and cinnamon. Set aside.

Roll the dough into a flat 16 x 20 inch rectangle. Spread the Vegan Butter, sugar and cinnamon mixture evenly on top using a dough scraper or spatula.

Carefully roll up the dough lengthwise so it’s 16 inches long. Cut it into 1 ½ inch sections with a sharp knife.

Preheat the oven to 350F Place the rolls close together, cut side up in a lightly greased 9x13 glass or ceramic baking dish. This will ensure that the rolls don’t unravel during baking. Cover with plastic wrap and let the buns rise for one more hour.

Prepare the Vanilla Icing and set aside.

Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the dish halfway through the baking duration. Pour the icing on the warm rolls before serving. You may want to heat the icing up a little so it can easily be poured.

Vegan icing – Powdered sugar, vegan butter about 2 tbsp melted) and rice milk – i usually just mix in ingredients till i get the consistency i want.

4 Likes

sticky buns

DOUGH

1 cup unsweetened almond milk

3 Tbsp vegan butter

1 packet rapid-rise (instant) yeast (1 packet yields ~ 2 1/4 tsp)

1 Tbsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt

2 1/2 – 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I mixed all-purpose and whole-wheat pastry 2:1)

FILLING

1/4 cup vegan butter (melted)

1/2 cup brown sugar OR granulated sugar

1/2-1 Tbsp cinnamon

STICKY GLAZE

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup vegan butter

1/2 cup pecans (chopped)

Instructions

In a large sauce pan (or in a bowl in the microwave at 30 sec increments), heat the almond milk and vegan butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees (43C), or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.

Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add sugar and the salt and stir (you should see some foaming / bubbling if the yeast is fresh and the water temperature is correct).

Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball, adding more flour as you go and as it will absorb. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with avocado oil or other neutral oil, and add your dough ball back in. Roll around to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

While dough is rising, prepare sticky glaze by mixing butter and brown sugar and spreading it in an even layer on the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish (adjust if altering batch size). Top with pecans and set aside.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with melted vegan butter and top with brown sugar (or granulated sugar) and cinnamon.

Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in your 8×8 dish with the glaze layer on the bottom (you should have about 10 rolls as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Cover with plastic wrap and set on top of the oven to let it briefly rise again while you preheat oven to 350 F

Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes, carefully invert, and then serve immediately.

2 Likes

Today I baked my current favourite, pretzels with salt drops. It is crispy on the outside and soft in the inside, really easy to overeat and get dehydrated from all the salt, but totally worth it :rofl:

15 Likes

Pretzels are on my to do list! What’s salt drops?

2 Likes

It’s mixed lukewarm water (1 dl), salt (2 tablespoon) and flour (2-3 tablespoon).

2 Likes

This weekend I tried a new recipe by a baker and it turned out to be one of the best I’ve ever baked, even though I don’t like cinnamon. It’s braided cinnamon buns. The dough gets rolled out into a thin layer which makes it really light and airy, the filling gets a bit caramelized on the outside, and the preparation is a lot less difficult than it seems, so totally worth the effort.

16 Likes

This is either art or witchcraft. Not sure yet :thinking: :rofl:

5 Likes

Actually they are not difficult to form at all, tomorrow I’m going to make another batch at my buddy’s request, so I will take photos of the steps if I won’t forget, because it’s easier to show than to explain.

3 Likes

Wow! You have a real talent. I love to bake. Baking was something my mother and I did together a lot when I was a child. I never realized it was difficult for others until I was the only cook at my last job that could bake. I just followed the recipes, which is apparently challenging for some :upside_down_face:

I don’t do much baking nowadays bc I don’t have the tools for certain things. Plus it’s just me and my daughter and it would risk us over eating or wasting food. Last month I did feel inspired to make something from scratch with what I had laying around. An apple cobbler, in which I cut the recipe to 1/3. It was perfect.

It’s definitely more satisfying to eat something homemade when you know everything that’s in it. Maybe I’ll try out some old recipes again. I’ve been craving my merengue cookies :yum:

10 Likes

These look amazing! my mouth is watering… :yum:

2 Likes

I never heard about apple cobbler, but it looks very delicious. Does it need to be baked in glass pan or a normal one is also fine? Could you share the recipe?

I never tried but a solution could be to freeze the dough in small portions and use just a little for each baking.

2 Likes

These are the steps of forming the braided cinnamon buns:

spread with filling:

roll it up

cut it in half except for the end

braid the two stripes

make a ring and put the end through the hole on the top (arrow) below the uncut part

put the overhanging end under the bun

14 Likes

This was on my bakery paper bag this morning i thought i should share it lol haha

6 Likes

Never heard of cobbler? They’re simple. I like blueberry or peach better but I had apples that day. I just felt like making some sort of dessert so I literally just looked in my cupboards and then found a recipe online that worked with what I had :joy: I only baked it in that dish bc it was the perfect size for 1/3 of the recipe, otherwise any pan is fine. Like I said, I’m really lacking in the equipment/tools department. I never thought about freezing dough but that’s a good idea to try. Luckily I did save the recipe :+1:

The only differences for me was I didn’t have baking powder so I used baking soda and cream of tartar but don’t remember the ratio. For the apples I sliced them relatively thin with the skin on. Melted butter and sugar in a frying pan and cooked them over low for about 15 minutes and then sprinkled them with cinnamon before adding them on top. I also recommend enjoying it warm with ice cream :yum:

Edit - I remembered I also added raisins with the apples bc I like raisins

5 Likes

So yummy! Rhubarb cobbler is popular in my family. It grows really well here and is one of the first things to break ground in the spring. It’s still snowing and mine is already starting up.

1 Like

I tried the apple cobbler and it was very tasty - thanks for the recipe! The only thing that I changed was that I used less sugar and even so it felt a bit too sweet for my taste, but maybe it’s just because my vanilla extract is already pretty sweet in itself. First I thought that I didn’t have a small pan, so I made more dough for the big one, and when I realized that I do have a smaller one and put the dough into it, only then did I notice that it was a bit much, so I had to bake it longer. It left the surface a bit overbaked, but otherwise it was good, especially with the whipped cream.

3 Likes

Ooooh interesting! I’m definitely going to try that technique.

1 Like

I’m celiac too, I just did the same. I’ve given up on baking. The only thing I manage to bake gluten and dairy free is banana bread. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Today’s snack: brioche with tea.

12 Likes

They look perfect, Tomek! Almost too pretty to eat. I’m not a baker, my stuff comes out tasty but flattish, or a bit sunk, or simply uneven.

3 Likes