Sober Bakery (TW: food)

Is there anyone else who loves to bake pastries and would like to share pics, recipes, techniques for inspiration?

12 Likes

The other day baked vanilla rings with honey glaze. A bit time-consuming to form them, but worth it, they have a very delicate taste, not very characteristic but nice. It could also work with cinnamon and some raisins.

23 Likes

Today’s baking was slightly sweet poppy seed loafs with raisins. It contains lemon juice too, but you can’t really taste that. It’s an easy receipt, and a very nice and light outcome.

23 Likes

Tomek, these are gorgeous!

I don’t bake much. Celiac over here (for 20+ years). I will come to this thread though and indulge in the pictures of your creations! Much appreciation :pray: :orange_heart:

10 Likes

Thank you for your kind words!
I’m sorry about the celiac, that must be difficult to have such a special diet…

4 Likes

My child would really love the recipe for these. The look gorgeous!

3 Likes

These look delicious! :drooling_face: Not so much into baking, but still I like to peak and maybe get some inspiration!

3 Likes

I was into baking my own bread a while back. I tried croissants… But they tasted sausage rolls without the sausage :rofl:
Can’t wait to see this thread grow I think there are a few bakers around on here.

2 Likes

I love this idea for a thread @Tomek! I had. Goal to make my own bread this winter and it’s almost over so I need to get on it! I also really want to try and make my own crackers. I bake cookies and other things on occasion but normally around special dates, holidays and whatnot. WHEN (not if) I get around to baking something I will contribute!

4 Likes

Love be this topic…:yum::yum:

A few of my vegan creations…

Cinnamon rolls

Sticky buns

Beignets

16 Likes

I LOVE baking. I think this is a lovely idea. You have some excellent looking works of art! If thos thread inspires more baking talk, I am all for that. Do the vanilla rings have a strongly sweet dough, or is it left to the glaze to bring the sweetness?

@JazzyS look at all those tasty looking treats!

5 Likes

A recent experiment with a favorite roll recipe. I wanted to see how much dough would give me a baby loaf and imI had this idea of freezing enough dough for two and being able to just bake it on a whim (never finished that experiment though).

Also adding cheese and herbs to see how the flavor would work since this dough is a bit sweet for roll dough.

17 Likes

Thank you — you got my mouth watering – those rolls look perfect!

3 Likes

I’m willing to be chief taste tester and quality control officer for all these magnificent creations.

9 Likes

I occasionally bake. I enjoy reading recipes and learning about food from around the world.

4 Likes

They are just mildly sweet, not intensely at all. There is a vanilla-butter filling in the inside and the dough also contains some sugar, but that doesn’t make them too sweet at all.

3 Likes

I just found out that I can use google translate to make translation quicker that way I don’t have to type, so this is the recipe for the vanilla rings:

Ingredients

Dough:
10 dkg of melted butter
3 dl milk
2.5 dkg of fresh yeast or one and a half bags of powdered yeast
7.5 dkg of sugar
1 packet of vanilla sugar
1 pinch of salt
55 dkg flour

Filling:
5 dkg soft butter
2 packets of vanilla sugar

To spread the dough:
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons of milk

Syrup:
8 tablespoons of honey
8 tablespoons of water

Preparation
Knead all the ingredients except the butter into a homogeneous dough, then add the melted, cooled butter in several portions.
Knead the dough thoroughly.
When ready, let it rise in a warm place, covered, until it doubles in size.
Cover the risen dough on the work surface (no need to flour).
Knead it carefully, then divide it into two equal parts.
Let’s stretch them individually approx. into a 25x40 cm rectangle.
Brush them with the soft butter and distribute the vanilla sugar evenly over them.
Fold both sheets of dough in half lengthwise and go over them once or twice with the rolling pin.
Cut approx. 2 cm long strips.
Cut the strips in half - also lengthwise - so that a small part remains at the top, which is not cut in half.
We braid the strips and shape them into a wreath.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line two baking sheets with baking paper.
Place the wreaths on the plates, brush them with the egg diluted with milk and let them rest for a quarter of an hour.
Make the syrup: heat the water with the honey. For the syrup, you only need to heat the honey and water together, you don’t have to boil it. The point is that the honey dissolves completely in the water.
Put the trays in the oven and bake the wreaths until golden brown, then take them out of the oven and pour over them with the pre-made syrup while still hot.

7 Likes

Croissant is on my bucket list too, never tried, they seem really difficult to master. Also knowing that a day’s work would be devoured by my kids in seconds… well, that discourages me. But I will definitely give it a try one day.

5 Likes

@JazzyS Those look great! Does baking vegan mean that there is no butter, milk, egg,… in them? What kind of liquid do you use instead?

@Chiron Those rolls look really tasty, well-risen and airy!

2 Likes

you are correct - the vegan baked goods have no eggs or dairy…

vegan Beignets

• 1 packet active dry yeast- 2 ¼ tsp
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (110°F)
  • 1/2 cup granulated vegan sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp [Ener-G Egg Replacer – mixed with 4 Tbsp water (this is the equivalent of 2 eggs)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 7 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (extra virgin or refined –- either way it should be solid)
  • 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
  • 1/4 cup confectioners sugar

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, then add sugar, salt, egg replacer, coconut milk, and blend well.
  2. Mix in 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth.
  3. At this point I recommend using a stand mixer if you have one.
  4. Add coconut oil and rest of flour.
  5. Transfer to a large oiled bowl and cover with a warm damp towel. Put in a warm area for 2 hours to let rise.
  6. After 2 hours, the dough will have risen and will be very sticky. You may want to chill for a little to have it be easier to work with, or just use a lot of flour when rolling it out.
  7. Roll out dough to about a 1/4 inch thickness and cut into squares.
  8. Heat oil to about 350°F
  9. Carefully place squares into oil and fry until they are golden.
  10. Place them on paper towels to drain the oil, and then transfer to a plate.
  11. Sprinkle (or dump) confectioners sugar onto the hot beignets.
3 Likes