Sober day 3, I need help!

I have been a pretty consistent drinker for about 11 yrs… When I’m not working and completely occupying my brain, all I’m thinking about is drinking. I’m on day 3 and have already deep cleaned my entire house, and discovered podcasts, which are okay if I can find good ones. Any good books, podcasts, busy hobbies or anything you guys have found useful to pass the time would be helpful! Thank you!

13 Likes

Welcome and congrats on day 3!

I remember the early days where the only thing I thought about was drinking, it seemed so relentless that I wondered if I ever would stop thinking about it (I did, eventually).

One thing that helped me was changing my relationship with alcohol

In that post. I have some videos that really helped me. One is on Youtube, the other is on HBOmax. Definitely worth the watch. It made me get sick at the thought of drinking!

Hope it helps!

7 Likes

That was actually very helpful! Thank you!!

3 Likes

Welcome back and hell of a job on 3 days of sobriety!

Keep working on yourself and I wish you luck on your journey.

I am working on Quit Like a Woman by Holly Whitaker and absolutely love the book - has changed my mind on how i view alcohol and all mind altering drugs.

Podcast compliation

recovery books

you can also use the magnifying tool to search for more podcasts and recovery books that will help.

6 Likes

12 Likes

I just found this and it really helped. I was just about to give up.

4 Likes

Thank you!!

Congrats on Day 3! I’m on Day 5 and know how you feel. When I’m off work I’ve been watching streaming series and have been reorganizing my house. I feel so much better even this early and that’s a huge motivation for me.

5 Likes

Hi this is a great audiobook that helped me a lot it’s by Laura McKowen called We Are the Luckiest

7 Likes

I’m on day 13 tomorrow. I scrubbed every bit of the kitchen a couple of days ago my anxiety is high and cravings were really getting to me. The legs of the table, chairs, cupboards, grout! You name it. I had a toothbrush if that tells how time consuming i intended it to me. We’ve gotta do what we’ve gotta do. Stay strong! You’re not alone in these thoughts or feelings :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Welcome! Early sobriety comes with that. Power through, and it will get a lot easier to not constantly think of it. Here are some recources:

Resources for our recovery

My favs were the recovery elevatory, the mental illness happy hour and the Recovering by Leslie Jamieson.

Good luck!

4 Likes

I think at the start i started readinh russell brands book and started rhe exercises in that. I also spent time really committing to it and watching way too many box sets. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you for this @HoofHearted. Really informative. I watched the BBC show last night after reading this post :pray:
Have you listened to the Huberman Lab podcast - What Alcohol Does to Your Body, Brain & Health. I can’t recommend it enough. He also does one with Dr. Anna Lembke who talks about dopamine’s role in addiction. Great if you find the science helpful (I do) xx

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this @JazzyS
Love a podcast ! I have an hour commute each way so the perfect time to digest these. Thank you :pray: X

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. What a treasure trove of resources. Ace :heart: X

2 Likes

Congratulations on the 3 days and your super clean house. If you find you need to keep your brain occupied just in general… now that you’re not wasting your time drinking anymore, have a look what free courses you can access. From open university, local college or coursera. There is always a selection of completely free courses, others are free to access but charge if you require an official certificate.
Try something new: first aid for pets, sign language introduction, food hygiene,…
:squid:

1 Like

Early days when i got sober there wasnt any internet at that time so no pod casts or celb giving advice just AA meetings but today there is plenty of help out there i joined a gym in early sobriety and off course my friends from my meetings helped me face to face , as i said plenty of resources out there to help you wish you well

3 Likes

I would suggest do some hiking or journaling to help preoccupy your mind and try to get your mind state off of your addiction. I know it’s easier said than done but it’s totally worth it in the long run. My worst day sober is better than my best day intoxicated and I found that a hobby that I lojg thought dead was still alive and well when I finally got smoke I have 83 days clean now and have turned out about a book of poetry and it really helps to be writing again. Hope that helps fun if you can’t take it a day at a time take it a minute at a time

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!

1 Like

That is smart, thank you!

1 Like