Sober Dreams

The last few nights I have had dreams of getting super duper drunk. Then doing things I would never do in my daily life even when drinking. There are people who I don’t know in the dreams and people who I do know. The ones I know are encouraging, pleasant to visit with. Then there are people I don’t know, they lead me to trouble.
I’m not a social person extreme introvert, live in the mountains away from people. I find the dreams odd, which dreams do that. They are also vivid in color with lots of detail. I normally don’t remember my dreams , all is is pretty wild to me. I’m curious if anyone else has had different dream patterns while in the early stages of sobriety. I’m 16 days sober today. :blush:

4 Likes

I have many drunk dreams but had the most in the first month. I’m 90 days now and still have really strange dreams sometimes, lots where I’m younger again at college (I’m 40 now lol) and some that are just down right weird like turtles climbing trees. :sweat_smile:

See it as a little adventure. The relief when you wake up sober is great.

5 Likes

I did not dream for many many many years while I was drinking. I would blackout daily and did not sleep properly. You notice the dreams probably because you now remember them. It will taper and normalize after enough time. Your body is recovering from trauma and is trying to repair itself.

4 Likes

A recovery mentor told me when I was concerned that my drinking dreams might mean I want to get drunk.

He said of course you do, your an alcoholic. Then he congratulated for getting drunk in my sleep and not having to reset my counter in real life.

I had crazy vivid dreams when I quit drinking. I still do, but drinking in my dreams is rare now.

5 Likes

You’re not alone! This one comes up so much we’ve tagged some entries about it.

Click: #drinking-dreams

Happened to me too, but they’ve gotten fewer and farther between as time and recovery wore on.

1 Like

I had them too, I think most of us gets them sooner ore later. This is what helped me understand them:

4 Likes