Sober friend relapsed need advice

So I’ve been sober 171 days today from drugs and alcohol thanks to aa. Someone that came in about a month after me relapsed as I have just found out. I just talked with him on the phone and he was very drunk. I told him to go to sleep and call me in the morning. He was basically incoherent. I need advice on how to handle this because I’m barely hanging in myself and dont really know how to try and help him.

3 Likes

Take care of yourself first, if you do not have the tools or energy to help him, lead him to someone who can. There’s no sense in both of you going down the drain. Do what you feel comfortable doing, and are capable of doing.

12 Likes

Absolutely. Put your own air mask on before helping others as they say. Only give what you can handle - you did very well to tell him to call back in the morning. Take care of yourself :sparkles:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice thus far everyone. I was not sure if I should try to drive over to his place or something, or do something more. But in the state he sounded like he was in I dont think it would be possible to really communicate with him anyway. It very sad, hes my first sober friend to go out.

1 Like

You can’t do anything for him tonight. All you can really do is get him to a meeting tomorrow. If he says no then he’s on his own man.

3 Likes

At least text him in the morning and let him know you are thinking of him. Letting him know you’re still there for him may turn out to be very important.

1 Like

See if hel go back to a meeting and if its effecting your sobriety maybe see if someone else at the meeting with long sobriety can have word with him , everyone has choice to drink or not. so you be safe

1 Like

I would say don’t incourage hij to anything.
Let him see that your faith is strong in our jou het spirit.
Let him feel it’s love,and be patience
Dont losse your love doe jij
We all pray for the both of you

In your higher spirit

If you do interact with him in person take someone with 12th step call.experience

1 Like

Little update, I spoke with him this morning and he said hes going to a meeting today. Hopefully he does. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

3 Likes