Sober in My Early 20’s

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I’m excited to have found this platform. Today is my second day sober. So far I’m doing okay, but I’m struggling with the fact that I’m only 24 years old. None of my friends are sober (though very supportive), and I’m worried about feeling like I’m “missing out” for the rest of my life. Did anyone else get sober in their 20’s? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks so much in advance.

15 Likes

I think you’ll get more responses of people saying they wish they quit in their 20s. I’m one of them. At 24, if I would’ve known how much worse I was going to be 10 years later, I might’ve considered quitting sooner. They say when you’re drinking/using, you’re standing still. Stuck in time, without moving forward. I believe that. When I finally quit after 20+ years of drinking, I had no idea who I actually was as a person. With 475 days sober, I’m still learning how to live a normal life at 37. You have the chance to live the life you’re meant to. Maturing naturally, without a haze. Believe me when I say, you won’t be missing out on anything if you quit now. I hardly remember my 20s. Continuing to drink will cause you to miss out on your life. Congrats on 2 days :clap: And welcome to the community :heart:

11 Likes

Just came here to welcome you, not in my 20’s though.
Congratulations with your day 2 :confetti_ball:
Have you seen our daily check in thread? That was a big help during my early recovery days. Check it out! Lot of support there!

It’s a place where we share our daily victories as well as struggles. Feel free to join!

See you around! :raising_hand_woman:
Ps and if you have any questions, just ask.

3 Likes

Congratulations on your day 2. :slight_smile:

Also in my mid twenties.

I can only speak for myself that a life doing substances isn’t going to be worth it in the long run.

Even though one might miss a lot of things in the beginning, after a while it gets easier.
I’m early in recovery myself so FOMO still hits me at times but one has to look at it realistically.

How many times did you actually enjoy yourself with you were consuming? How many times did you just try to numb things down?

I’d start by doing an inventory and keeping it on me at all times. Seems a bit silly at first but it’s helpful to break through there thought patterns. :peace_symbol:

I wish you well on your journey and don’t be afraid if things suck for a while. It’s better than what lies ahead if one continues on this path.

Sending you strength. :handshake:

3 Likes

sober at 34 , there are young peoples meetings for the young ones maybe try get to one wish you well

1 Like

I got sober at 46,although i had lots of fun and good experiences up to this age,this is probably the only thing id change in my life,i wish id got sober in my twenties,if you can stick it out i suggest you do exactly that,wasted time is a bitch!!!

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of people here who’ve been working on it in their 20s. If you search “sober in” “20s” (with the quotation marks) you’ll find a good set of threads about it - click on my search here and you’ll see the threads I’m talking about:

https://talkingsober.com/search?q=%22sober%20in%22%20%2220s%22

It is 100% possible. In addiction we tend to think of drinking like a hobby, like an activity that people socialize around, which is why we think that not drinking will lead to losing friendships. The truth is, normal humans don’t think of drinking that way, and true friendships are not the same thing as drinking buddies. Taking the “leap” into sobriety means changes - including some of the people we hang out with will change - but it’s worth it, for the payoff in terms of self-respect and health.

Remember: it’s about you, it’s not about them. Focus on yourself, one day at a time.

3 Likes

Hey. I wish I was sober in my twenties. I find that in my experience of previously hiring and training younger people they are totally more health conscious and aware than I was of health and wellbeing. Maybe find the right people for you. You don’t need to cut off from existing friends, but change the dynamics of spending time with them. Find some people who can mirror your wants and desires and hold you up.

Good luck. Fantastic decision.

2 Likes

Welcome Kira! My first real and serious attempt at getting clean and sober was at age 21. Thats when I first began attending 12 step meetings and seeking help for my addiction. I remember feeling very much like u do now. I knew i had a problem but also had that worry of missing out and wondering what my life would look like clean and sober. To be completely honest, the only thing im missing out on is being broke, feeling like crap the next day, guilt and shame, not knowing what i did the night before, etc the list goes on. Being sober is such a gift!!! Ull be missing out on all the negative things that drinking comes with. I wish i wouldve continued on with my recovery at that age, but ended up relapsing at 3 years clean and stayed out for awhile. Got clean this time around at 37. I wish i didnt waste all those years out in the problem. Drinking really serves no good purpose in our lives. It just comes with a lot of pain and suffering. And since ur here seeking help, i gather that drinking hasnt been a good experience for u either. Im glad ur here with us :slight_smile:

4 Likes

24 years old here, turning 25 in August :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t2:

I always feel like I’m missing out but personally, I know its not worth the hangover and the disappointment I’ll feel the next morning. Personally for me, if others are drinking, I make myself the designated driver and drink non-alcoholic beers that taste like beer but obviously aren’t.

They help me feel like I “fit in” with those who are drinking. It’s very much a societal flaw that drinking is so normalised for hang outs with friends. That’s just my way of getting past that.

Recovery looks different for everyone. Glad you’re here and free to talk if you want to from someone your age🥰

2 Likes

Here’s the thing I’ve learned, when you view sober life through the lens of a drinker, it gives these kinds of fears teeth.

The longer you are sober, you begin to view life through a different lens and those fears disappear.

I’ve been sober for over 5 years, I am doing all thr things I did when I was actively drinking (except the bar scene), the only difference is who I am doing it with, those who see with the same lens as me.

One day at a time, you’ll get there.

1 Like