Sober in Seclusion

I wrote this a couple months ago…thought i would post it then update…

I’m pretty new to this app but it seems like it could be helpful. Tomorrow I will be sober for 30 days. I’d like to get to a meeting and get a 30 day chip. However. I’ve pretty much locked myself in my house and am afraid to go out into the world. I can’t screw this up this time. I know living this way is not emotionally healthy and I want a regular life complete with work, family, friends…maybe a little fun. Just seems a long way off. Any suggestions?

6 Likes

Hello Kim, Glad to see your post. Have you been doing online meetings at all? Maybe that would help you transition to an in-person? Perhaps you could call the local chapter and have them come to your doorstep and present it to you? I bet they would.

Do you have someone who could attend with you? Or would you feel comfortable if someone from the chapter came with you or arranged to meet up with you there?

So…today I have 85 days. And I’m happy to say I’m not counting my days, hours, minutes, seconds…like before…though there’s nothing wrong with that! Lol…

My life has changed in many small and a surprisingly number of larger ways. Physically of course…I didnt realize that my systems just didn’t work like “normal” people and didn’t even really notice! Not going to bore you but BP, weight, skin, hair, etc etc…

I have more substantial relationships with those that stayed in this for the long haul. And now talk to and see my parents and couple siblings pretty much daily. Friends I’ve missed for so so long are slowly coming back into my life. Oh…and have a great job offer…

The holidays are so much better in so many ways but also SO SO HARD. I see what I was missing and I long for an escape. Ive never needed so many meetings or had so many temptations as in the last several days. I dont expect this to be easy but I could use some advice!!

5 Likes

I am at a point now where I can go. I just dont as often as I’d like. Things the first few kind of disappointed as did Zoom…but I think that for long term success I will need a network of sober friends. Its something I dont have at all!

Welcome Kim. Stick around with us and you’ll build a nice support system in no time. Between this forum and AA meetings, I’ve met some of the best people and many will be long time friends.

2 Likes

Congrats on your 85 days Kim. This place is my only support I got and it’s working for me. Lots of great people on here to help. It seems like you already know some of the terrific benefits of being sober. There are so many things I’m grateful for now being sober. Keep that in mind. There’s a great gratitude topic on here I like to start my day with. As far as temptations, run away from them. Avoid them. This could be difficult during the holiday season but I would put my sobriety first.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Good morning I am quite a shy person I would love to join in the zoom I don’t know if I am ready and anyway how do you set it up hope your well :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I really hope so!

1 Like

Everyone i think how good it would feel to reward myself for not drinking (obviously with a drink)…I think about all i could lose again with just one…I dont want to go there again!! Thabks for your support.

1 Like

Just go to your main AA meeting page and there will be zoom links or at least meeting ID numbers and passwords. If you don’t already have zoom, your device will prompt you to get from app/play store. Its a nice idea and works better for some than others…I personally like in-person meetings but good alternative during these times!

Good morning to you too. Must be afternoon for you wherever you are. I’m just checking in first thing this morning. Maybe you already found your answer about the zoom meetings. Sorry I can’t help you with that. But there is a Zoom topic on here you can check out. I’m pretty sure @Jennajen and @Olivia could help you out on that. I’m be a little too shy for Zoom meetings myself. And what I’m doing is working so I’ll just leave it at that. I do think a Zoom meetings can be very beneficial. Everyone is so nice and welcoming around here. I do believe you can even lurk in on a zoom meeting where you don’t even have to participate but just check it out. Again I believe Olivia and Jenna could help you out with that.
I hope your having a good sober day today.

Ahh… the “Drink Reward.” That was always me. I think I rewarded myself with booze more than any other reason for drinking. It’s so great now, that during a long days task I’m not planning my drinking reward the whole time doing it. I like the rewards now of not drinking. Like having a clear head and no hangovers in the morning. Being able to drive without wondering if I should be driving. I’m living with those rewards now.

I saw my name being mentioned, so here’s some info about TS zooms. @Kip We have them Tuesdays and Saturdays, sometimes on Thursdays too. Check your time zone, the zoom starts 7 PM UK time. Our meetings are very informal, discussions ranging from utter sillyness (hehe) to sobriety and personal stories. Everyone’s welcome, shy or not :slight_smile: It’s ok join with or without audio/video, and just listen. You can come and go according to your schedule. We’re usually 3-10 participants.

Here’s a link to the thread. Scroll to the very end. A zoom link will be posted around the time the zoom is about to start. (Sometimes a bit late so don’t be discouraged.) There will be a new link for every meeting so no use for clicking older ones.

Eric @Dazercat come on!! You’re not that shy! We would looove to have you join one time :kissing_heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck: And to see your kitties and doggos :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I second that!!! @Dazercat I would love to have you on the zooms!!!

And yes, I can also recommend the TS zooms! Come as you are! :hugs:

2 Likes

Thanks Olivia I will but just remind me what to do on Saturday :blush:

We’re on this Thursday, right now :slight_smile:

Is it ok if I miss tonight really tried tonight only slept couple of hours last night you know how it is but thanks for thinking of me :blush:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the resources!!

Well…90 days today! I haven’t been this proud of anything in a really long time. Aside from just not drinking for 3 months, my life has changed significantly in all areas…health (mental and physical), family, friends, work… I know I have so so much further to go and a lot of personal work and reflection ahead of me but it feels like a great start!! Thanks for listening…

2 Likes

Right?! Its kind of hard to find things i like even close to as much as substances…for me everything is a sad substitution unfortunately…over the years I made everything I used to enjoy less important…like food, family stuff, hobbies…ugh!!!

1 Like