Sober in the UK

Looking for anybody living sober in London or Edinburgh to give some tips. I’m American and love to travel, and travel has always involved drinking. When in Rome right? Last time I was in London and Paris a few months ago, There was no question about going to pubs and bars, and drinking everywhere. This time I’m hoping to keep my sobriety. I just associate London with pubs, and pubs with beer. I know it doesn’t have to be that way, but I feel like it’s an unknown…I don’t know how it’s gonna go. On TV I see a lot of brits drinking orange juice instead of beer, while in the US it seems to be soft drinks. Any advice is welcome.

1 Like

I’ve been all over Scotland, Wales, England while sober. Actually I was only like ~10 weeks sober at the time (Aug 2018).
Also Ireland last summer. Been there many times (over a dozen, by my count) and did a lot of drinking there in the past, but not last year.

I think its just a matter of owning it. Drinking culture or not (and hey, we’ve got a heavy drinking culture here in the US too), just stick to your guns and “do you”. People respect that sort of confidence. Plenty of other things to see and do in those countries, despite the abundance of pubs. Nice to be able to remember seeing and doing those things, too.

My gf and I went into a pub in Ireland to watch the US Women’s soccer. Had a nice chat with the guy next to me, retired gentleman from Dublin. About 30 mins in, I figured he noticed I was drinking seltzer, he asked if I ever drank the black stuff (Guinness) in a way that implied he had one waiting to be poured with my name on it.
Now, I fucking loved Guinness in my day. Its the one drink I’d still love to be able to have. But, I simply told him “Yes, as a matter of fact I love it, but I don’t drink these days”.
He responded so kindly and commended me for being a “good, clean-living lad”, and we carried on with our conversation.

What I’m getting at, is that not drinking is only a big deal if we choose to make it one.

4 Likes

That’s a great bit of feedback

1 Like

Yeah in the UK it’s not uncommon anymore. People are making a much more conscious effort to either moderate or be sober entirely. It could just be that I’m not around it so much anymore but even when I walk past pubs they’re very rarely full of what I would consider “rowdy” groups. Just keep your wits about you and you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there’s so much more to do in London that doesn’t involve drinking. There’s also lots of meetings all over the city where u can meet soba friends. R u here on holiday? X

3 Likes

Eat.
There are loads of places to eat well.
Don’t just stay in a city, get out of London, place is too crowded anyway, get out beyond the M25 and into the country a bit more and take in some scenery with a good walk.

1 Like

There is an alcohol free pub in London called Redemption, there is a lot of sober hang outs and get togethers in and around London.

1 Like

I met @Dejavu when he came to London last year. We it spent the day together but we went to Abbey Road studios and had a nice walk around Hyde park. Really nice day.

4 Likes

Sober bars are becoming a trend. Open morning til about 8pm 9pm. I would like to own and operate a soft drinks pub one day, with pool, darts and other juke box etc

3 Likes

When i travel abroad i try and make contact with the local AA meeting to go or even meet for coffee or a meal dont know how long you are sober ,ive been doing it for decades wish you well

4 Likes

Thats a cool idea. There really aren’t “adult hangout spots” akin to a pub, but don’t feature alcohol. At least not that I’m aware of around here.

Darts and pool are super fun, too. Got a dart board in my basement, I’m down there frequently throwing darts to kill time during laundry etc. On the odd occasion that I find myself in a bar for an event or something, I immediately seek out darts etc if they are there. Something to do and can be social if you have opponents.

I wish there were more places like you described!

3 Likes

Does it have to be London? Manchester and Liverpool are worth a visit, nice cities but lots of good countryside around too to get out and about in. Plus Chester Zoo.

There is probably more to do in London (museums, galleries, random stuff happening) but depending on how long you’re staying then there is probably enough on in the North West to keep you occupied. I like it better up here, I find London busy and expensive.

Did I see you say that you might be visiting around the time of our planned Peak District meet up?

1 Like

For better or worse, this trip I will be in London because I’m there with a convention. Yes I so so so so so want to go on the trip with you guys, it sounds so fun, but I’m stuck in London all day on Saturday and would never be able to get up to Manchester even on Sunday to allow any time.

Oh im sure you had a great time! I will be in central London, let’s keep in touch and see if you’re around during that time frame. Would be great to meet up!

1 Like

Good to know @anon84416494, we’re seeing it happen here in the US too.

That’s a great idea @jakee01 !

@Natnat @Peeceeuk trust me, eating is always welcome. When on holiday, start with a good fry up and take it from there lol

1 Like

I’m from (Nottinghamshite, keeping this here as an amusing and genuine typo), Nottinghamshire I meant, and used to go out into the Peak District climbing most weekends as a kid.
With all of that on your doorstep, you’re much better off than being in London.
The north is friendlier anyway.

1 Like