Sober life and dating

I was thinking…what if you don’t drink anymore but your love interest is and you want to kiss but he drank so it Can taste alcohol ?

Sorry if It’s a Silly question but …:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’d rather not have the taste or smell on & with my sweetie. Fortunately she stopped with me. Would be too much of a turnoff for me at this point, I suspect.
Not to mention a bit of a reminder I don’t need to be that close to. But that’s me

4 Likes

Not a silly question, really. It’s all part of the challenges of relationships where one drinks and the other does not. I guess it comes down to whether or not one is struggling to stay sober, where proximity to alcohol raises the chance you’ll cave in and drink. It also depends on how supportive the drinker is of your decision to not drink. Do they taunt you, or tempt you, or are they " Mind if I have one? I won’t if it bothers you."

There’s all kinds of alcohol in my house. My wife’s parent’s live with us. My FiL is a normal drinker. He has a small glass of wine or a premium beer about every other day. My wife is an occasional drinker, having a glass of wine maybe once or twice a month.

When I quit, they offered to hide everything and not drink in my presence. I told them I appreciated these gestures of support, but I didn’t want them changing anything. I was the one with the problem with alcohol, and I needed to decide whether or not I would drink. They can’t make me drink any more than they could make me not drink.

So, if I see my wife pour a glass of wine, or she kisses me after drinking one, I don’t find this triggering. I won’t drink because I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker.

11 Likes

Thanks you for sharing.
I too think I’ll manage not to drink around people who drink. But I was thinking about going on a date with someone who don’t know, not necessarily talking about my recovery but just saying that I 'm not drinking…I don’t know if the taste After Kissin will trigger…I don’t think so tho. Feeling quite good about my sobriety and dating sober should be…interesting :joy:

4 Likes

Just a question but do u think maybe some to go e reason u are with this guy is to maybe slip back into drinking maybe a reservation just asking cause I know how this addiction works n plus to get you to evaluate yourself n your intentions in this relationship it does say to change people places n things just wondering

2 Likes

Hey. No I’m not seeing any Guy but I was thinking if one day I go on date someone and they are drinking…a ramdom thought :relaxed: but honestly I’m not thinking about it I think this Time is precious to focus on me a grow stronger on my Sober journey.

2 Likes

BUT It’s interesting for me as I didn’t date much but when I did …there were always alcohol involveld. And for a lot of people I know It’s like that. But I’ve never talked about it in meetings yet. But It’s a part of how WE are to others while being Sober…as for a lot alcohol was a way to not being Shy or be a person “cooler” etc etc

1 Like

Yes I agree I was just worried about you was all I didn’t wanna see you fail I’m glad you think n feel how u do cause yes your recovery is very important an it is suggested to stay single lest a year or so to focus on yourself n your recovery to get to know yourself better ect that’s one thing I never done was stay single till this time around I’ve been single now bout two years n got 14 months clean n sobor n I just now see n truly understand why it’s suggested to do that I’ve never been single this long in my life but it’s been. Worth it tho two things I’ve done differently is stay single n completely surrender to god n it’s working

1 Like

Glad that the guy I am getting to know at the moment is not drinking alcohol at all. :heart_eyes::sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi,

It is not a weird question. A few months I had the same question.

I was on a date and she drank. My mind went: owww what will happen if we kissed???

At first I was scared. But I did not notice anything. Could not taste it. What may have helped was that she only had 1 drink and there was almost 45 minutes between her drink and the kiss. I don’t know how it will be if a kiss is right after the drink.

1 Like

Maybe you’ll find a sober person and won’t have to be worried about that, who knows !
I remember having a date after my divorce, a lot too early by the way, and the girl drank a liter of beer while we were talking. I was like …hmmm that’s not gonna work :grimacing:

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t even go there. That’s just my experience. I wouldn’t date someone that drinks more than a few times a year, and when and if they do drink I’d probably just stay in. For me it’s just not worth it.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. That’s exaclty that. I just don’t know how I’ll react. I’ll update if I ever go on a date soon (don’t want tho but it just crossed my mind)

Yes maybe but I don’t wanna be too strict about that …but I think someone who drinks a lot would be a sign…I’ll see but It’s a part of me and I 'll have to be careful and consider this option. Thank you all answers help me to built a reflexion for the future (I don’t wanna date I was asked but declined…my peace of mind is precious lol)

1 Like

Yes I understand. I don’t know how I’ll react but I’ll listen to my feelings for sure :relaxed:

Being newly sober I wouldn’t recommend it.

Give yourself some time to get comfortable with not drinking alcohol and yourself, naturally everything at your own pace

But I dated a woman when I was about a year sober, who drank I shared the story on the forum a few times and spoiler alert it didn’t end very happily ever after.

But I was actually disgusted by the odor and taste of alcohol after a kiss, it was quite the turn off to be honest.

1 Like

Speaking from experience. At the very worst part of dating in recovery, is when your s/o passes due to a relapse or health complications due to addiction.

2 Likes