Sober vacation (first time)

Well in 20+ years I am going on my first sober vacation. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. Normally, I would be planning my first drink from the moment I get off the plane (I fly at 6:45 am). Normally would have drinks the night before and with little sleep board the plane. And then I would continue to have drinks throughout the trip. This time will be different. I will continue to take it one day at a time. I have brought work out gear and I will make sure (I even promise myself) that I will ask for time to myself when I need it. I will scope out meetings (not sure I will attend, but want to have times in my back pocket).

Hey, for the experienced AA members on this forum, I can go to meetings right? Times are posted online? Someone also told me there is a code at airports for just in case?

Anyways, really excited, and feeling grateful to be doing this sober. Will try and take in every moment.

Another worry is staying civil with my husband. When the both of us are stressed we tend to fight. Fighting is trigger for me. I will just take it one day a time. Grateful for this forum as you will be coming with me on this trip lol!

7 Likes

Have a great holiday ,and yes there are meetings all over the world ive been to most of them lol , dont know if you have a preamble with the serenity prayer it saved me a few times . if a old scotsman like me can do it anyone can , i joined the friends of Bill W site and when i was going any were i used to say when i shared and i always got some one who lived close just in case i was out of sorts .and if you Husband gets out of hand tell him a big scotsman will come over and kick his ass lol your no longer alone have a ball keep on trucking

5 Likes

Yeah, there’s meetings all over. Dunno where you’re going, but so far everywhere I’ve gone this year I’ve found times/places posted online.

It’s a real good idea, like you said, to find them before you go. As you said, whether or not you go, it’s something to have in your back pocket.

And yeah, you can drop in like any other meeting. We get visitors from all over all the time!

3 Likes

Keep talking things trough with your husband, it helps things not piling up. Good you have a sober plan before you go!
I wish you a great sober holiday :heart:

1 Like

Let me know where you are going, I will look up the local AA number and meeting schedule

1 Like

I’m off to Paradise Island, Bahamas this weekend. I see there are meetings in nassau but not sure I’ll be able to get to those. I saw a mention somewhere of meetings on paradise island in the atlantis resort, but didn’t find details - any idea how i can solve this mystery?

Also, i read I a travel forum that if your are at airport and your ask to page “friends off bill w”, people will come! Good to know in case one gets stuck in a situation or someone else needs help. I was happy to read about that.

3 Likes

I would ask the clerk at the hotel. If you are truly struggling it’s pretty easy to get into Nassau. However that town has rough parts so you might want to ask the hotel guy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have meetings right there though. It’s a huge resort and plenty of sober people go there I would imagine.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m staying at a yoga retreat, not at atlantis, but i figure i can wander over as i think its close-ish.

1 Like

Ohh. Gotcha. Yoga is good. Take your big book and have your own meeting!

2 Likes

Good point! Thanks!

Oh holy cow! One of my program girlfriends just got back from a yoga retreat in the Bahamas. She said it was the best week she had experienced in years. Hope you have soooooo much sun and relaxation!

2 Likes

It might be the same place!

Lots of yoga, meditation, spiritual stuff. And warm and beach. Yayayay. I will report back.

2 Likes

I’m about to go on a solo trip - first time I will spend a night away from my children. I’ve downloaded the meeting finder app so that I can easily find a meeting nearby.

AA meetings in other cities are great. It’s interesting to see regional differences in how things are run. I once went to a sunrise meeting on a pier in a South Carolina Beach town. Soooo flipping cool!

4 Likes

That’s the place!!! Enjoy every second!

3 Likes