Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

I LOVE this thread. I’m thankful for all of you.

6 Likes

7 Likes

From my OWN personal experience. Getting out of the religious environment that I was in has let me be my full authentic self :black_heart:

4 Likes

Same here sister, same here :sunglasses::metal:t2:

2 Likes

:clap:t3::black_heart: definitely freeing

2 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

8 Likes

Absolutely love this Menno :dart::100::sunglasses::metal:t2:

1 Like

Maybe so that they could learn and understand more about atheist views and the people who hold them? I know that’s why I check out threads that are about things I don’t necessarily believe or think is correct/right. Maybe it’s a small amount of people, but it does happen.

4 Likes

I am here for 2 reasons, 1) as a moderator to show support for a group of people that havent had their place…2) as someone who believes in God…to learn a different perspective…because, I feel, those who spurn differences are the truly ignorant. Also, most religions have some Tennant of free will, it might be called something other than “free will”, but it’s there. So, as a believer of God…it is totally possible to be here, PEACEFULLY, and learn about another groups out look on life. Not only learn, but implement what I learn into being a better version of myself.

13 Likes

Ok guys, fair enough :v:t2:

6 Likes

Jay liza has left the forum :pensive:
She was so happy to finally have this thread, let’s hope it will live on. And let’s hope she’s alright !
Keep on rockin’

Despite the difficulty in compiling data, a number of studies have been conducted to establish how many people in the world declare themselves to be atheist, agnostic, or non-religious. In this post we shall look at a few.
atheismmap_thumb
Atheism World Map (Red – Religious, Green – Atheist)

5 Likes

Interesting map, thank you for sharing.

When I see a map of the world I am just astonished by the size of it. Sometimes I zoom out really far on Google Maps to take a look around the Earth and imagine people sleeping or working in other places

7 Likes

People have their way of finding their way back. I did, let’s hope she does too.

3 Likes

2.5 days sober and this is my last try. As I’ve done this too long and too many times. Kinda at the end of my rope and extremely irritable with a case of shingles. Guess my body is trying to tell me something!! If the guy in the sky was real I’d ask him why I deserved a dysfunctional alcoholic family and this disease? Then I’d tell him to GFHS! RANT OVER

4 Likes

Oh no, I hope she is OK and finds her way back. She was a fabulous contributor :black_heart:

That map is really interesting, but seems to match my experiences in England/Europe. I was genuinely surprised on here at how much God was a part of everyone’s lives/language.

Still reading this thread, found it hard to contribute after it all kicked off the first time. Also agnostic so never know where I am, what I feel etc.

5 Likes

Last drama kind of cut my will to participate I must say. I had to kick my own ass to post the last message :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I’m English too. I think it’s for 2 reasons. 1 is because a majority of members of here are American, where Christianity seems to be still very much a part of a lot of peoples lives.

Also I think it’s a reflection of the AA programme, with its emphasis on needing a higher power. I think in the UK it’s harder for people to get on board with AA because we are so atheist/agnostic as a country. One woman at a meeting I went to said she finds it hard to believe in God so she prays to a Guinea Pig face in the sky…that’s one of the reasons I left AA, because I can’t force myself like that to believe in something that I don’t.

To each his own though :+1:t2:

10 Likes

Some people thrive on conflict and drama, others don’t. Still others create conflict as a means to silence people with other opinions. If we leave or stop contributing they will win. I won’t be silenced and I won’t leave. When a valid point is made, I’ll try to look behind the argumentative tone. It’s about the substance. Not the form. However hard at times it is to see that. I just try to remain civil (trying is the right word here :grimacing:), or sometimes I will just keep quiet for a bit. Take what yours and leave the rest goes here too.

11 Likes

4 Likes