Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Yes!! My progress buddy! :relaxed: We got this!

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Thank you! :relaxed::black_heart:

1 Like

:black_heart::black_heart::black_heart:

8 Likes

14 Likes

Gosh, where is the super love button!! :cupid: :heart::purple_heart::yellow_heart::blue_heart::green_heart::orange_heart::brown_heart::white_heart::blue_heart::black_heart:

3 Likes

Brilliant find and share menno. :heart::clap::+1:

3 Likes

Good morning lovely people.
Going to a christening tomorrow, really dont want to go.
Dont want to go to church.
I like churches i think they are magnificent buildings.
Dont want to go to the party.
I have no worries about drinking, that does not intreast me.
Id like to stay home and get used to my camera and be selfish, thats all.
Skip the church, show my face at the party and make my excuses and leave.
Its not family but a work colleague and he has invited me and catered for me so its only right i dont let him down.
If i was proficient with my camera i could have attended the whole day and took pictures of the church and party.
If this is my biggest problem :rofl: then life isnt that bad is it. :grinning::sun_with_face::raising_hand_man:

5 Likes

I had the tendency to run and shut down when I made mistakes or hide from the things I’ve done… no more. Therapy has been hard but so rewarding and I am no longer running from myself :black_heart:

12 Likes

This is 100% perfectly true!!

3 Likes

Entirely!!

1 Like

Absolute ovation to this- hell yes. :muscle:t3:

3 Likes

Truth bomb! I’d also say for myself it was learn to love myself and love my life instead of escaping both.

5 Likes

Yes! That is something that definitely goes hand in hand with loving yourself! :black_heart:

4 Likes

For me the most important thing I learned on my sober journey of discovery so far is that I can’t do it alone. I’ve always considered myself a humanist. And an atheist, but primarily I call and consider myself a humanist. Learning how to incorporate the ideas of humanism into (how I live) my life, and truly live those ideas too is something I’ve only started to learn since I became sober.

Funny thing is, that humanist idea of togetherness, that idea of community, that idea of needing my fellow humans to make something meaningful of my life, I encountered for the first time really in the sober community. Maybe, possibly, I would never have gained this insight and learned this lesson would I not have been in recovery. Maybe I needed to become addicted first to learn this lesson. I don’t think everything happens for a reason, but still, it’s an intriguing thought…

I feel the next big thing I need to learn is to truly accept and love myself. I’m on my way there, just like @anon29496718 through working hard, in normal day to day life, in therapy, and in not running away from life and myself no more. I’m getting there. We’re getting there. One day at a time. Love from Amsterdam and huge thanks for being on this road with me friends.

14 Likes

I’ve never heard of humanist. That’s Interesting. And thanks for the Infographic

2 Likes

Therapy is one of the best yet hardest thing I have had to deal with :relaxed::black_heart: you are doing so great!

2 Likes

Matt, thank you so much for this resource! I was able to find a meeting close to me. Much appreciated!!!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it Korinne! Welcome to Talking Sober :wave:t2: :innocent:

This is an interesting topic. I’m only at 3 weeks sober and decided it was best to put myself in a more restorative environment. I’ve been doing some small online AA participation as well. Once I got to step 3 on the big book, it took awhile to find my thinking around a higher power.

While accepting that I can’t fix all of my issues alone, I do believe there is something out there wanting to me to pull through even if it’s just the idea of love and support from others.

On the flip side, I was told early on that one of the issues that could of caused this was not going to church. I briefly explained that I wasn’t opposed to it. I just didn’t want to do a half effort into something I couldn’t believe. I didn’t want to lie to myself or anyone.

It’s been quite the crazy few weeks.

2 Likes