Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Not a church goer here…never made a difference in a meeting, was never asked about it. I did AA forv4 years until i moved onto a different recovery program

4 Likes

You’re 100% not going to hear that from those of us on this thread. That sounds like a very close minded perspective and I’m glad you were able to see beyond it.

I don’t discredit the possibility of people choosing a “higher power” that is not based on religion or even spirituality, though folks in AA describe it as a spiritual program. There are ways non-spiritual or anti-religious people can make it work for them, at least I’ve heard people say it is possible for them, but there are also other paths. Only you can decide if it’s what will work for you. I couldn’t reconcile my feelings on the spiritual aspect enough, though I did try AA for a while. It wasn’t the people - they were lovely - it was my perspective. I found my own way, made my own “program,” I suppose you could say.

Welcome to the thread. I hope you get some perspectives here that are of interest or helpful to you.

9 Likes

I’d suggest a sponsor to help guide you through the steps. People like to overthink step 3 big time. How it was described to me was simply a commitment to working the rest of the steps with my sponsor. If you are seeking a spiritual awakening you can build that through the remaining steps. This is why a sponsor is suggested. Working the steps on our own is just a continuation of running on self-will, the same self-will that lead us into this mess. I have not been in a church (except for meetings) for the duration of my sobriety.

1 Like

Let’s get this thread back on topic.

10 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: You are missed #3

I had wanted to post that comment here just because this is where we had talked about our progress, @nikki666 and I. This is my safe space and not saying it’s an issue but just was confused as to why it was moved so quickly :joy::thinking:

2 Likes

I honestly struggled when I was searching for help to get sober because I’m not just atheist. I’m anti-religion. As in it bothers me when people tell me they will pray for me, etc. i kept being told to just do AA and don’t focus on the god parts but it felt like telling me to participate in a cult and just ignore the parts that talk about the cult. I couldn’t find any program that fit me so I just went to a counselor.

I’ve since learned about SMART recovery and don’t know why that never came up in any of my searches for a program for me. It could have helped me a lot back when I desperately needed it.

8 Likes

I really like the format of SMART.

It drives me crazy when people in my sober Facebook groups tell someone to give it to God, pray about it, “Let Go, Let God.” The assumption that everyone believes in God drives me crazy. It drove me crazy when I did believe in the biblical God. Stay in your own damn lane, PEOPLE.

7 Likes

I was not prepared for the extent of which Christianity would be pushed on to my kindergartener. She’s been attacked basically at school for not believing in God and her teacher is telling her she is wrong and God is real. I really don’t like that.

7 Likes

I dont like it either @tmd :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:Speak to the person in charge and tell them to stop immediately thats assuming that its not a faith school if it is you cant really complain.
Im speaking from experience it happened to me when was 4 and I never believed any of it then.
If only they would teach life skills instead and warn of the dangers of addictions in my case alcohol.
Best wishes moving forward with this.:+1:

1 Like

Ew. What!? Gay teachers can’t talk about their spouses in many states but a teacher is allowed to tell your kid god is real!? No. I don’t like that either.

1 Like

Evening check in on day 1192. I’m home, my working weekend done. Feeling tired but accomplished. Tomorrow I’m free and I’ll do as I please. No work no therapy no course. Tomorrow is mine. Maybe I’ll hike, maybe I’ll bike, maybe I’ll do jack all. I’ll keep you posted.

I will be sober and clean for sure. Thanks in no small part thanks to all of you, my fellow sober warriors without god. Love you all, and I love all you people who do believe there’s a god or many gods too, even if you don’t believe me.

Picture is from my work this weekend. Thiamine injections I prepared before I give them to alcoholics on their first 3 days of admission to the detox where I’m a nurse. Glad it’s only a small -though important- part of my job.

12 Likes

:books:reading up on thiamine :nerd_face::man_technologist:
Ahh vitamin B¹ i was warned about this when i went vegetarian for a few years.

1 Like

Thiamine is vitamin B1 Col. Here’s a decent explanation why many alcoholics have a B1 deficiency (as well as being short on many other vitamins). And why B1 is so important.

Alcohol related thiamine deficiency - Alcohol and Drug Foundation.

6 Likes

Thanks Menno Im always learning. :+1:

1 Like

Hello everyone. @Mno Today I bought some vitamin B supplements that i have started taking just for 3 months until my healthy diet kicks in :+1:
I also ‘attended’ an on line zoom meeting for S.M.A.R.T recovery. I felt I needed to up my game put more into not drinking.
It gave me a lot to think about listening to other peoples accounts.
Ive not been in the best of places lately and needed to try something different.
I shall be joining more meetings.
:raising_hand_man: :+1:

7 Likes

That is a wonderful thing! If you keep that approach you will do wonderful things

7 Likes

Sounds good Col! Do and get all that helps you. Can’t do it all alone. Still my major lesson learned in sobriety.

8 Likes

I am also one who can do this. Thanks all for posting here and how we can stay connected.

4 Likes

I don’t think stuff happens for a reason. I do believe in coincidence. Stuff just happens and we deal with it as good as we can. I am what I am today because of my genes and how they expressed themselves, and how I grew up, the influence other people had on me as well as my material circumstances.

My parents didn’t take very good care of me emotionally. I was abused by a family member and a teacher. After that I survived for 40 years by drugging and boozing. Now I am on my journey of recovery/discovery and I’m learning, growing and improving myself.

The fact that I’m working in addiction care now is a consequence of how my life unfolded. Because of what happened in my life I became an aid giver. But that’s something totally different than saying what happened to me happened for a reason. It’s the other way around I am strongly convinced.

So much in life is out of our control. Stuff just happens for no reason and without a plan and that’s a scary thing. But for me that fact makes me work all the harder to influence the stuff I do have control over. To make my life a little better and also that of my fellow man. One day at a time. Because all we’ve got is ourselves and each other. Sober and clean. Love to you all.

13 Likes