Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

I would absolutely challenge this. However I think having an alternative to suggest might help your case. Online recovery dharma meetings or other non-religious meetings could be an alternative but you’d have to be creative about how to offer proof. Perhaps a time stamp photo or there might me a more tech savvy way of doing this.

4 Likes

Thanks, there is probably a way to track zoom attendance. I’ll have to look into that. I did see a lot of RD online meetings.

3 Likes

Intherooms.com they do online AA meetings at all hours of the day and you can download attendance proof from each meeting whether you stayed until the end or not. Participating as in speaking is optional.

Would that satisfy your insurance?

6 Likes

I forgot about this! @KarenKW this should do it. @Lisa07 has recommended this in the past.

5 Likes

@KarenKW Yep, I did this: In The Rooms for court. I’m not an AA fan either. It seems cult-like and makes me anxious. To be perfectly honest, you can call up the AA zoom, mark attendance, and walk away for an hour. Just ummm…throwing that out there. :crazy_face: OH, and they DO have all kinds of meetings…probably an agnostic one. I think they do meditations, too. The website has more info than the app.

Just wanted to add before anyone attacks…I know AA is a lifesaver for many, but it just isn’t for everyone. Personally, I find visiting this app 1000% more helpful. Everyone’s recovery journey is different.

8 Likes

Happy International Atheists day all. We’re in this together :people_hugging: :heart: :earth_africa:

10 Likes

10 Likes

Ah!!! Twain quotes are so great. Thanks, Rob.

2 Likes

You’re welcome and yes they are!

1 Like

15 Likes

12 Likes

17 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Just checking in :green_heart::mending_heart:

4 Likes

Good for you keep us posted on your journey wish you well

Last night my fellow Amsterdammer Huub Oosterhuis died. A non-dogmatic, loving, caring human being. He was a theologian and Jesuit priest until he quit the priesthood because he was opposed to celibacy. Stayed catholic. Stayed politically active, always on the side of the oppressed. Wrote beautiful poetry. And did much more. He’ll be missed. I don’t care he was a religious man, and neither would he have cared I am not. Fuck dogmas. Love is what we need. Rest in Peace dear Sir.

For midnight

What shall we
in these unsteady times

in this wild lazy
corner of the universe

other than patiently expect
the colors of the rainbow?

Whereto live our precious
puny hours of life

but for these few moments
of unconditional love

Huub Oosterhuis (1933-2023)

15 Likes

17 Likes

So glad I found this thread, freethinkers!

6 Likes

10 Likes

12 Likes