Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Well said. :orange_heart:

1 Like

We’re in this together. Love.

13 Likes

I will do that with all my heart :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

:revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

The last line in that quote…that would fundamentally change the world if the population would live that.

4 Likes

Thanl you for what you post.

1 Like

I believe it’s 100% true. But it’s hard work to get myself (ourselves) into a state where we can actually live like that.

2 Likes

I found this one in a search for humanist quotes. Actually to me this is universal truth. Also for me, this is the only way to try and live a sober life after living an addicted live. A sober life is supposed to be a better way to live than a life under the influence right?

I know reality is often harsh and without love. We (I) flew into substance abuse and other addictive behaviours and became addicts, exactly because the world we encountered was without love. So to me the only way towards true Recovery is to try and work on bringing some love into the world, love to nourish ourselves as well as everybody else.

With or without a god, it’s all the same to me. We’re all humans. We need love.
Quotation-Carl-Sagan-For-small-creatures-such-as-we-the-vastness-is-bearable-25-67-91

8 Likes

Oh, I have always loved this, thank you for sharing and the reminder.

2 Likes

Working on it. One day at a time. :revolving_hearts:

14 Likes

There’s only one god and it’s name is survival. To survive I need to stay sober.

4 Likes

Welcome to the thread Marcio. You’ll find likeminded folks here, and feel free to post thoughts you have about getting sober without ideas of a higher power or whatever you have in mind.

2 Likes

Existentialists welcome. I hear that!

1 Like

Of course there is other stuff humanity has come up with I’m less impressed with. But morality is a good one.

8 Likes

Even though there is the word god in this, with a capital G even, I still think it’s fitting here. :people_hugging:
331597272_1334448783791358_6409518882638526463_n

6 Likes

I found this opinion piece quite interesting…

7 Likes

From my Western European perspective the total dominance of 12-step addiction treatments in the USA is mind boggling. Especially when court ordered. We do have minnesota treatment here, but it is only one option amongst many others.

6 Likes

The perspective/experience of people from around our world is definitely one of the (many) things I have learned a lot from over the years on this forum.

3 Likes

I really appreciated that the IOP I did was not the 12 step approach. Because it was a dual program with mental health, they used more of a CBT, DBT approach. There was very little talk about spirituality other than in process group if someone brought it up as helpful to them. And I’m in the Southern US where religion permeates everything.

6 Likes

I’m posting here because I’m not sure where else to post. I got a follow up letter from my insurance company (that is covering the IOP I attended) that says they expect me to attend AA twice a week and send them proof. For a year. I have read plenty about AA and know it helps a lot of people. But I don’t feel comfortable with the idea of surrendering to a higher power. Or saying I’m powerless over alcohol. Or the label alcoholic (im a person with an alcohol addiction). I’m a person first and not my disease. The 12 steps make no sense to me in my life.

I haven’t reached back out to the insurance company. Im hoping I can arrange an alternative. I see a therapist for my mental health weekly and he’s also an addiction counselor. It just pisses me off that everyone pushes AA. Im not ever sure I like the idea of meetings. Although if I had to, Dharma Recovery or SMART would be better (I just don’t have local chapters of either).

The IOP was not at all religious or based on the 12 steps, which is why I liked it so much.

Im just frustrated and needed to rant.

5 Likes