Sobreity check in how everyone doin?

26 days, feeling good still a little shaky, trying to adjust to my new norm!! Hope all is well with everybody!! Together weve got this!!

6 Likes

Day 469 and I still don’t got it.

Keep trudging, it only gets better.

10 Likes

Love the honesty. Guy at a meeting shared a couple days ago with 21 years, how uncomfortable he feels when he’s the longest clean time in the room. That means people ask him questions lol and he’s like the moment I think I know anything, that’s when this disease as cunning and baffling as it is sneaks up on you. Thought it was well said and humbling for even a man with 21 years to say that.

8 Likes

It makes me feel the opposite. If someone 21 years sober is still struggling and fighting then am I really signing myself up to a lifetime of feeling as shitty as I do now? Doesnt it ever just become normal to an addicts brain not to drink? Will I always be craving something I cant have? Its depressing to think about.

Sorry to be so negative. I had a rough saturday of seeing old friends and the place everyone wanted to meet was a bar. I didnt drink…just.

3 Likes

I was sober for 5 years before. You will not allways be craving! It’s deffinitely becoming better if your sober strech is longer!
But you have to be allways aware that you are just one glass away from back to day one.
It doesn’t matter if you have 4 days, 4 months, 4 years or 40 years under your belt it’s my opinion.
I still had thoughts about drinking when I had my sober years. But it was seldom and I had my sober toolbox to handle them.
So don’t worry! It’s getter better! Sober life is great! But it’s like a “normal” life with good days and bad days. It’s not hallelujah all the time :hugs:

5 Likes

But it’s got to be better having to think about it than drinking yourself into oblivion. Hasn’t it?

6 Likes

Thanks Buts. I just woke up feeling very negative after a trying saturday and I guess I dont feel quite a strongly about it as I sound in my earlier post. It’s just scary sometimes when I slip out of the one day at a time mindset. Also, ive quit smoking in the past and never have the urge to smoke now except very rare occasions when Im drunk and being self destructrive.

Aye thats what Im hoping!

Dont have any cravings anymore my program took care of that ,and life does get better the longer your sober , i sponsor thats gives me a good feeling helping the newbie to go though the steps as for the guy 21 years maybe he should be thankfull hes sober and why is hes uncomfortable ,i dont mind people asking me questions if i can help then fine if i cant i can guide them to someone who can, keep on trucking

3 Likes

I’ve only been sober for 18 months, but I have a sponsor, I’ve worked, and continue to work the steps, and I have a life beyond my wildest dreams. Is life perfectly comfortable? No, but who’s is? The promises made to me in the 9th and 10th steps have come true. I owe it all to God and the rooms of AA.

4 Likes

Here I am… Back again… Had a good run for a while then then I made the conscious decision to drink to “test” myself to see if I could handle “social drinking” for “one night.” Can you friggin believe it? “Social drinking” “one night only.?!?” :joy::joy::joy: This disease is sly… No doubt about that. So after my “test” and I was hungover, sad, and feeling damaged. After day 2, I decided to try my test again - just to “be sure” the after affects were “real.” :thinking: Same thing for about the next THREE MONTHS of binge drinking (and lost my fiance) - for some reason I just couldn’t believe that I can do the same thing and get different results. That I could drink and be ok… :no_mouth:

So here I am again, trying not to be crazy by expecting different results from the same actions.

My former mantra was “discipline” - now my new mantra is “determination and faith.” I’m going to start doing the rooms again since AA is not a viable option. I live on an island with a high rate of tourism, but when it comes to locals you can’t kiss someone on one mountain without everyone finding out about it on the other side of the island.

It’s actually funny when I think about what I just wrote, cuz I’m sure everyone knows here I’m an alcoholic already… I just don’t want my personal stories to become “talk story” with the locals - which it would be.

So day 3 for me and still detoxing…

1 Like

Sorry for such a late response. I totally understand what your saying and actually went relapsing because of that. Futuretripping is what they call that. Basically he is humbling himself saying that he has today, if you woke up before him you have more clean time. But people early in recovery see these milestones as really cool but can’t understand how this guy is not some freaking wizard at recovery. His response shows his Gandolphness imo that he has figured out the magic trick to recovery in that he treats everyday as a newcomer. Yes it’s awesome to look back 21 years later and see holy shit I have 21 years but no addict in his right mind that will stay sober for 21 years would say that at any point, I’m going to stay sober for 21 years, they have today, god willing they will have tomorrow but tomorrow is never promised only today. They are grateful for today and that is the trick. Remember day 1, remembering how the pain and detox and suffering and desire to stop using was so strong. That’s what got him to 21 years, it’s not a trick. It’s just 24 hours. He’s got a lot of 24hrs lol

1 Like

I’m up to 43 days now which is a hell of a lot longer than I had been. Feels like an eternity. It’s getting a little easier.

1 Like