Sobriety Day 1 Help

How do you do it? This is my 703rd “first day”.

9 Likes

Welcome to community

3 Likes

You got to totally buy into it and be “it” everyday until “it” is just normality.
Can I offer you something very simple… Can you commit to tomorrow 100% sober?
Just do that, then come bank here to me tomorrow evening.

It’s a deal, see you tomorrow :+1:

8 Likes

You have to figure out your reason for wanting to be sober in my opinion. There has to be something at your core that drives you to choose sobriety daily. For me it was the possibility of losing my family and my life. 362 days ago I drove home drunk and can’t even recall how I did it without killing someone or myself. Since then I have chosen to not drink daily. Everyday is really like day one to be honest when you live one day at a time.

4 Likes

In the early days I did a few things. Every day I did something sobriety based (read quit lit, listened to a podcast/Youtube / went to a meeting / worked on the steps). I planned the hell out of my time so I was never at a loose end. I kept AF drinks / snacks about to consume instead. When a craving hit I used aromatherapy to try to resist. I treated myself regularly with the money I was saving from alcohol.
I don’t need to be so structured these days. And I don’t treat myself anymore, because sober is my new normal. But these things helped at first.

6 Likes

Welcome Jade!
What are you willing to do to get and stay sober? I was asked that question 4 years ago following a DUI accident. My answer was “anything”. I was carrying so much guilt and shame over the fact that I could have killed someone. I took the suggestions of others and immediately enrolled in an intensive outpatient program followed by AA. This forum is a great tool but the more tools you have the better your chances.

5 Likes

Welcome Jade @Eckk you’re in the right place!
There’s a wealth of knowledge and experience to tap into here, so my first suggestion would be to stick around and read, lots…
Surround yourself with people who want to get and stay sober and also listen to people who have long-term sobriety… they really know their onions!
Remain teachable… our best thinking got us here?!
Take care and good luck :hugs::sparkles::sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Honestly it’s when you don’t crave that you’ll be successful. If you’re constantly thinking about it, doing things “instead” of it, bargaining about how much you’ll have when and how…

Addictions do something for us. What’s it doing for you? The cost is very high but you’re getting something out of it. What is that? How do you get that other ways?

In a happy fulfilled life, you can totally ignore booze and it’s fine. There might be some work or therapy to do. It’s much bigger than just your beverage choice.

Welcome Jade. When I first got sober, I checked in here multiple times a day. It’s a wonderful and supportive community. AA isn’t for me but this community is what has kept me sober.

2 Likes

I read your post. I’m a chronic relapser as well. I refuse to give up. I’m gonna dust off and try again. I think I get a little stronger in resolve each time. Learn your triggers , forgive yourself, and try again till you get it.

2 Likes

It often starts with taking personal responsibility for your own sobriety and acting upon what you are willing to do to support your sobriety. There are many people who like the idea of sobriety or who just want an easy way out of the negative consequences that their addiction has caused for them. How is your Day one going?

1 Like

For me it started with NEVER CRAVE ALONE That is how I started once I was out of a rehab facility. They pounded that phrase into us. I got involved with my local NA groups, where there were people just as messed up as I was. I got a phone list and started calling people on the list. When I felt a craving, I called someone. When I really felt like I couldn’t go on sober anymore, I hit a meeting. I started posting here when I felt a craving. I read posts from others just like me who had dealt with what I was going through. No matter what, tell someone how you’re feeling. We can’t stay clean/sober by ourselves. Being accountable only to ourselves is what got us here in the first place. People saying “just take it one day at a time” is true, but without a support system it’s super hard if not nearly impossible.

NEVER CRAVE ALONE

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. I don’t think I can really add to the great replies you’ve already received, so I will just second them.

1 Like

How are you doing on your 2nd day @Eckk? Staying close to this community or IRL support during these early days will no doubt help. Cheering you on from afar.

1 Like

Maybe try a meeting might help ,they helped me stay sober for decades wish you well

1 Like

I am overwhelmed with the amount of support I have already recieved. I am beyond appreciative for all of your comments and support. I feel like I miss it, I’m afraid of who I am without it but I’ve been trying to get sober for at least a year now, so I’m feeling very committed and very excited to just see the 24 hour mark.

5 Likes

Hey Jade, and a warm welcome to the community.

As you can see on my profile, I haven’t been sober for long. I tried on my own for about three years and never managed to get past day four. So I know the frustration of starting over and over again.

Now, for the very first time, I know I can do it, that I WILL do it, and this community is a huge help. I have very busy days, so I don’t write much, but just checking in and reading posts that remind me of what I’m trying to accomplish keeps me on track. I hope it will do the same for you.

Another thing I noticed that is different this time: I knew - really KNEW - that I had to stop living in this fantasy where I could still have a little … I’m sober now, and I label myself as such, just like e. g. vegetarians do. I’m sure this won’t work for everyone, but it does seem to help me.

Wishing you strength and success! :heart:

2 Likes

Great to have you back here again today :clap::clap:

One foot in front of the other, small steps take it hour by hour, minute by minute if you need to.

Let’s check in again tomorrow evening?

1 Like

So glad you checked in today. You can do it! You’ve got all of us cheering you on. :clap:

1 Like

U got it. Keep moving forward think about ur goals and reasons for staying sober. Eye on the prize!!!

1 Like