Sobriety VS Addiction

I like to format my motivation in a “This VS That” layout and thought I’d share! It can be anything. Changes you currently notice, how your future will look, goals you want to achieve, pros and cons, etc. Reply with yours and see how you feel.

:white_check_mark: Even with crappy sleep, I can face my day
VS
:no_entry_sign: If I don’t fully sleep off this hangover (which could be 12 hours), I will spend all day feeling miserable

:white_check_mark: Better hygiene/cleaner house
VS
:no_entry_sign: I have no desire or energy to do anything, so I’ll just stay feeling gross

:white_check_mark: Saving money
VS
:no_entry_sign: Spending what I don’t have on alcohol

:white_check_mark: I can enjoy hanging out with friends and family more consistently
VS
:no_entry_sign: I might embarrass myself, make dangerous choices and/or forget bits and pieces

:white_check_mark: I’ll ALWAYS be able to drive in an emergency
VS
:no_entry_sign: Risk myself and others around me bc I was drinking when the emergency occurred

:white_check_mark: Way less likely to miss a wake up alarm
VS
:no_entry_sign: Frequently missing/canceling alarms, appointments and events

:white_check_mark: Eating more consistently
VS
:no_entry_sign: Skipping dinner so it doesn’t “ruin” my intoxication

:white_check_mark: I have more patience and more presence with my daughter
VS
:no_entry_sign: I’m irritable and/or hungover and just need to zone out on something

Those are just a few of mine! Can’t wait to see yours!

Stay strong, Lovlies! :muscle::green_heart:

14 Likes

What a great idea!! I love this!!

:white_check_mark: juggling multiple tasks and feeling good about the multi-tasking

:no_entry_sign: struggle-bus with a single task bc my mind is unable to think straight

4 Likes

That’s a great one! I can totally relate. :octopus: VS :confounded:

1 Like

:white_check_mark: Being able to deal with my emotions when they come up and having a chance to learn something valuable.

:no_entry_sign: Being overwhelmed by every single thing not going my way and never finding a new way to cope.

6 Likes

Yes, such a big one. Great observation!

1 Like

I did this as part of my Step 1 for AA, to really show the ‘insanity’ of how I was living my life.

4 Likes

:white_check_mark: People can “drop in” whenever

:x: Constantly stressing that people come to the house when drunk

:white_check_mark: Being open with my spending

:x: Hiding receipts and stressing if husband goes near bank book

:white_check_mark: Can open drawers freely

:x: Constantly worried a secret stash of empties that I hid when drunk will appear

:white_check_mark: Feeling physically well

:x: Feeling faint, poor bowel movements

11 Likes

love this idea

:white_check_mark: being able to cope with my day without crippling anxiety from a hangover
:no_entry_sign: being bed bound all day from physical illness but mostly anxiety and guilt from the night before

:white_check_mark:being in control of what i say and do around other people
:no_entry_sign:saying every thought that comes into my head even when i know i shouldn’t be sharing these thoughts with strangers

:white_check_mark:being safe and warm at home with my family
:no_entry_sign:being out late at night in the cold with people i don’t know who could be dangerous

9 Likes

Love this :smiling_face:

:white_check_mark: Not making a fool of myself (mess in a dress)
:no_entry_sign: Hanging out with douchebags

:white_check_mark: Getting my motorbike license
:no_entry_sign: Drink driving even I was ashamed and said I would never do it

:white_check_mark: Recycling my non alcoholic cans/bottles
:no_entry_sign: Hiding the booze cans/bottles

:white_check_mark: Planning and going on sober holidays
:no_entry_sign: Not remembering where I’ve travelled and who I spent time with

:white_check_mark: Looking after my aging mother
:no_entry_sign: Causing stress to my mum with my behaviour

:white_check_mark: Being able to advocate for myself in the workplace when something doesn’t work for me
:no_entry_sign: Quitting or just crying when things aren’t working that way I want

I’m sure there’s a million more :muscle:

10 Likes

Hi everybody, I was wondering if, as part of a sobriety tool box have any of you written a list of benefits to abstaining from your DOC (in my case it’s alcohol, particularly wine) so you can read if/when you get a craving? I’d love to know what everyone else thoughts & experiences are.

So I’ll start:
No hangovers
No wasting a whole day to recover from a few hours drinking
Saving money
Skin feels better
Better sleep
Less anxiety
Less night sweats (thought I was peri menopausal - turns out it was alcohol induced sweating)
More energy
More clarity/less brain fog
Less itching

10 Likes

It certainly is a great tool for recovery :purple_heart:. Even a couple of years in, I forget how what I take for granted is actually a blessing, and it is good to be reminded. This thread is from a couple of days ago, that has some great ideas for you to look at. I joined your post to it to help keep the forum tidy.

6 Likes