Social media addiction

Anyone else find themselves endlessly scrolling ! Makes my depression & anxiety 10times worse !why do i want everyone knowing about my life ! Another addition I want to quit! Any tips

5 Likes

Good thing about social media, you can switch it off. I know it’s hard, I suppose its is one way getting things off your chest. When we post on social media, we may not get the response we are expected. What we type may come across differently to others, so it can make us feel worse and unsupported. Take your social media icon off the front page of your phone so it is not easily accessible. Keep your mind occupied, read a book, listen to music, go for a jog. Try and limit how much you spend on social media. Sorry probably much help, hope you are feeling better soon :hugs:

1 Like

I swore I would not go back on social media, which I promised my therapist, when I got home from rehab last august. I did not follow through and I catch myself checking CONSTANTLY. It’s wastes so much of my time but it’s like any addiction, I hear you stop one then pick up another addiction. My DOC was alcohol, benzos and opiods, now it’s facebook, Instagram, Amazon shopping and endlessly watching the news. The fed-ex man is here at least 4 times a week and all I listen to in the background is talk radio or FOX news. It’s so hard to stop once you start scrolling because it just consumes you.

3 Likes

I used to be on Facebook quite a lot. Combine that with alcohol it made for some quite embarrassing posts that I’d delete the next morning. Then the anxiety and depression kicked in. I also used to get angry at conversations or posts that didnt concern me. I deleted it about 3 years ago and havent missed it. Those who I am close with have my number and it is nice to not have my face glued to a screen most of the day.

5 Likes

I started to crochet to get me off social media. Its a bullying tool that I don’t like.
I have changed my friend list so only people that I want to see my posts do.

1 Like

Ahhh, my expertise :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
For starters, delete all your accounts. No exceptions. If it deletes all your progress in a game, than that’s too bad. The sooner you quit, the easier it is. This addiction is one of the hardest but it will give a great sense of accomplishment. Also delete all apps related to social media. Messenger, Facebook, insta, snap etc. If you’re struggling and desperately want to make a new account, message me. I can’t guarantee I’ll answer straight away, but I’m on here almost every hour. If I dont respond fast enough, you can always pm someone else. Maybe make a personal thread where you check in multiple times a day to maintain focus and keep your mind of using

2 Likes

The only thing I like is competions and business side of things !

I’m with @anon89207786. I deleted my accounts cuz I knew I would go back. I had to close my FB before a certain 10-week trip and never reopened after returning home.

Definitely, find a hobby for yourself that includes only minimally screen time. Pilates, crocheting, arts & crafts… These things have helped me. I hope you find something that suits you :blush:

All the best!

I have been thinking about deleting my social media lately. I post a lot of photos of my daughter because she is my world and I think she is the best!.. but now with all this talk about pedophiles, I dont want photos of her on the internet anymore. Its all just become so dark and negative. I have started screening people who follow me. I am paranoid.

Freeze your phone in a block of ice, and burn your laptop :+1:

I think it’s a sensible thing to do. I have friends who don’t post any pics of their kids in social media but use other channels. I find that smart too. I’m fairly sensitive about my privacy whereas some people don’t take it so seriously and that’s ok. But it’s good to consider that if upload an image in the internet there’s no way to get it permanently out.

2 Likes

Ha ha took apps from phone and hardly go on now

The best thing is to never join these social media apps/sites. :grinning:
I’ve never joined any of them and, yes, im proud of it :grin:
Social media is to socializing what masturbating is to sex. :hugs:

1 Like

I may not be the best to give advice on this because I have very little interest in social media, but it might not hurt to ask yourself what you’re getting out of the endless scrolling. Are you trying to avoid being alone with your own thoughts or are you simply bored?

Other people have given awesome advice on how to get off social media, so I won’t rehash any of that, but if you’re just bored, think of a cool new hobby you can pick up and lose yourself in it. Spend some quiet time with yourself and reflect. Or whatever other reason you have, figure it out and see if you can work through it and find a better way to get your needs filled.

Good luck. :+1:

1 Like