Socialization

I’ve been sober over 3 years and have been a member on this app the entire time. Especially in the beginning, this forum gave me somewhere to turn when I was feeling weak and all I wanted to do was go out and drink. I didnt know who I was without going to the bar and drinking til close. I’ve found that there is so much more to me and I can do so much more than I ever gave myself credit for when I was a binge drinker.

I find myself seeking ways to help other people and to create a community for like minded people who want more out of life. So I wanted to start a discussion concerning the social aspect that is now missing from a lot of people’s routines.

A huge part of drinking for me was going out and socializing. Being around intoxicated people while I’m sober isn’t much fun. How do you get that in person socialization now that you’re sober? What do you wish was available in your community?

2 Likes

I am getting it from friends I’ve made at recovery groups. I do a weekly breakfast on Saturdays; we keep in touch even through COVID w virtual coffees and such.

What spaces have you explored for making friends?

I’ve made a few good friends in AA. These few ladies and I get together weekly for dinner. Due to covid, I haven’t really explored other options.

1 Like

For me it started with AA. It helped me find myself, and showed me I could be a good person. That confidence helped me socialize in other aspects. For example, volunteer work, reconnecting with acquaintances lost long ago.

1 Like