Some advice for newbies

And you don’t have to read it either

10 Likes

They are just trying to help, there are no rules about writing a lot unless it’s spam, which this definitely isn’t, so just let them do their thing

8 Likes

Better and better each day. I slept really well last night and woke up feeling refreshed. I packed up and went for a hike today… all by myself…4.4 miles. Appreciating the amazing things my body does for me… even after I’ve treated it like shit.

7 Likes

This is fantastic!! Thanks for taking the time to share your advice. :heart: That is very thoughtful and I am sure helpful for many members.

7 Likes

Good for you! It’s amazing the strength you find in yourself once sober :heart: :muscle:

3 Likes

I’ll ask you to be a bit more respectful of other forum members here. If something bothers you, you don’t have to read it or comment on it, just move on. Here’s some relevant excerpts from the forum rules and guidelines:

9 Likes

Thank you for this post… i literally just added this app and started my first day, with hopefully enough intention to push through this time. It does feel very confusing, embarrassing and lonely but your words feel meaningful and seeing that your three years in… while i cant imagine that right now for myself, it does make me hopeful seeing such success

10 Likes

Yes, Amanda - our addictions do mess up our minds as well as our bodies… My shame has disabled me for decades. :frowning:
You’ve found a safe place now to share your ups and downs.
Wishing you the best, take care - you’re worth it!

4 Likes

There was a time I felt exactly as you do now. Take it day by day and it will get easier for you. Even just making it through the first day is such an achievement and it will be worth it. Stay strong :heart:

4 Likes

Welcome @Fromdayone
There are so many great members and advice here on this app.
Just take the advice that helps and leave the rest behind until you get to a point that you can really see helpful messages in everything you read.

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. I know i needed to find somewhere for the shared experiences and ability to talk as ive honestly tried hiding this problem from everyone close to me. Its been so deafeningly shameful but i want to change it before i lose the good things and relationships ive been lucky enough to stumble into. Fingers crossed on finding some inspiration in here.

7 Likes

Dear @Chels2017

Some wonderful advice. AA and 12 step can be great additions to the do it yourself method. For some it’s the difference of life or death so don’t discount it so much. You probably could use a bit more of it to keep you away from weed and alcohol. Great job on your sobriety so far, I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

I look forward to seeing your progress. No crossed fingers. Your future is in your hands. You can do this. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks. I would not find attending AA meetings helpful but I’m glad it’s worked for you and I’m totally aware that it has helped many people abstain from alcohol. I’m having no trouble abstaining from anything at the moment. I’m older and wiser and what I am doing is working for me. Why would I change that? Thanks for your concern though, very nice of you :grinning:

1 Like

That’s good you feel like that now because some people lose everything before they decide to make the change. Spending time on this forum definitely does help. Just reading other peoples stories and struggles every day makes you feel a part of something and like you’re not alone. As @Phoenixfighter says, it’s all down to you now. I hope you have a sober sunday too :heart:

4 Likes

They can type as much as they want. Whatever happened to you leaving and never coming back?

2 Likes

Thank you for this post. So much great advice, I’m going to bookmark this one.

5 Likes

Lots of good information there and we’ll thought out. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks Chels!!!

1 Like

idk really