Songs for Sobriety

This is kind of dorky, but my favorite motivational song is one that I wrote. I wrote it during a dark time and I listen to it almost everyday to remind my self of my potential.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this song. Iā€™ve always really loved this song and until I tried getting sober again, for the who knowā€™s how many times, did I actually listen to it. Iā€™ve been having a really hard time the last couple days. This song really hit home. Thanks again.

1 Like
2 Likes

Not really a sobriety song but I love to listen to that while working out. Music is a huge motivator :muscle:

Hereā€™s a song that can speak to us all

So this is a new favorite for me. Iā€™m tagging my girl, @anon37742172. The song is ā€œThis is Meā€ from The Greatest Showman." Perhaps thatā€™s super dorky, but Iā€™m tagging some of my sober family anyway. @MoCatt @MandiH @Englishd @Meggers @Bill_Phillips @Neighbrofthebeast668 @CaptAZ @Yoda-Stevie @DowntroddenGoat I know Iā€™m forgetting loads of you, but it only letā€™s me tag 10 of you per post. Bastard.
https://youtu.be/_n8d_Vi8nSE
Listen to it, buttmunches!

8 Likes

Also @C-sun @DungeonMaster @Jante76 @SassyRocks @anon59060877 @Yomomma @MissQuinn @Melrm @Twowaymirror

4 Likes

If it stirs your soul to action, itā€™s not dorky. Not my normal style, but itā€™s definitely ā€œlistenableā€.

Iā€™m a bit more Judas Priest ā€œHalls of Valhallaā€ kinda guy:

3 Likes

I run the gamut with music. My husband likes Judas Priest, but I never got there. Black Sabbath, Rush, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, sure! Iā€™m not big into country although who could deny Johnny Cash?

3 Likes

Love me some Cash. When the Man Comes Around:

7 Likes

The Greatest Showman was good. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m a Rush nerd. No im not ashamed.

Love that tune

Make you think about where you sit in the world. 'The Word" is my GPS. Tells me where I want to go, and where I am in relation to my destination.

2 Likes

Yeah ā€“ not sure how sober my music is rnā€¦lol The music that loops through my head is often a reflection of where my head is and I often use music to work through shit bouncing around internally. I often have trouble taking what I feel internally and articulating it using my mouthhole by using you know, words. Speaking feeling words is hard. LOL

RN this is currently playing in my head b/c I am really just tired and miserable, but know how fortunate I am. The song remind me of those nights out ā€“ that raged into the morning light. We thought we were running from our miseryā€¦ we thought that was living, man. Whatever is off right now ā€“ I know it could be as miserable as what is depicted as the song ā€“ and for today I donā€™t want to go back to that.

The line ā€œwhatever it is about you Iā€™ve always f * cking hated, is just something about myself I just never likedā€ just keeps rattling around for some reason. Hmmm. Need to do some thinking and meditating on that.

Ryan Adams Live at Town Hall on 2006-12-06 : 29. (Warning alcohol and drug use in the song for anyone that might be triggered)

https://archive.org/details/ra2006-12-06.ra2006-12-06sbd

And the gift that doing all this brings, I had totally forgot him talking about being sober and his music that nightā€¦ (about 30 seconds in here) but I remember they way he felt that night on edge, tired, pissed off that things were just not exactly right and the existential mindfucking that having to exist in the real world with raw feelings without substances since god knows when feels like (which was clear with CPMU and Red Cave). I never thought then, that I would ever understand or feel what happened on that stage that night (or throughout the run). But here I am.

https://archive.org/details/ra2006-12-06.ra2006-12-06sbd/08D2t1Hallelujah.flac

Anyways, Goat will stop rambling now. Your regular meme programing will now resume.

4 Likes

I do the same thing with music. What Iā€™m listening to reflects where my head is. I like Ryan Adams a lot. I didnā€™t know he had a drug/alcohol problem.

2 Likes

Wow follow me does sound like itā€™s about addiction! I have a new appreciation for this song. I used to find it really annoying

This is a tame version of what was going on across the sceneā€¦ the early aughts in NYC was a crazy crazy time.

1 Like

So I guess if you start listening to Nickleback, we should be worried.

1 Like