Songs that help you feel grounded

I am new here and 4 days free from alcohol. I am only 30 years old, but I have drank heavily for the last 16 years of my life. Looking forward to my 5 day milestone tomorrow.

My username comes from a song that has helped me stay positive and focused on changing for the better. It is called “Stand Like An Oak” by Rising Appalachia

I was wondering if you have a particular song that helps you? I am building a playlist and thought others might find this helpful too :blush:

10 Likes

Welcome!!! And congrats on your 4 days!!

Sober by Pink :heartpulse:

Coming Home by Diddy

5 Likes

Thank you!! So great to have a community to be a part of.

2 Likes

The Middle by Jimmy Eat World

It’s upbeat and I love the chorus line

It just takes some time
Little girl, you’re in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything’ll be just fine
Everything, everything’ll be alright, alright

3 Likes

I dont really have specific songs that ground me. I do find nature music/sounds off of the Insight Timer app to be really grounding and great for meditation (which also grounds me).

3 Likes

Fear by Blue October

1 Like

I’ve never seen or heard of Pink until I saw her on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert the other night. I mean I’ve heard the name but that’s all. I loved her straight away. I’ll check out that tune.
:pray: :heart:

3 Likes

She is pretty awesome.

3 Likes

I like that! Healing party is a great way to word it. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Not Afraid by Eminem :heart:

4 Likes

Wicked Twisted Road - Reckless Kelly
Conversation With the Devil - Ray Wiley Hubbard
Nose to the Grindstone - Tyler Childers
Backslider Blues - Jason Boland
Hate Me - Blue October
Outfit - Drive By Truckers

Not the most upbeat tunes but they cut deep.

2 Likes

I like Johnny Cash, “Let you guns at home Bill”, and also Gospel Songs. Some of us support long walks to overtake cravings. I use to walk with Johnny Cash.

I do not want to break the language uniformity, but also consider an Italian singer that make me do my best in terms of quietness and meditation: Franco Battiato.

1 Like

I wanted to share this song with you, it’s giving me so much strength these days, some positive vibes for all of us, who struggle with our demons everyday :heart:

Enjoy. :people_hugging:. Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out - YouTube

1 Like

I like “Gravity” by Perfect Circle, which has the refrain: “I choose to live” in the chorus. I had to make a choice whether to continue my destructive path of alcoholism and possibly an early grave, or fully surrender myself to my Higher Power, heal, and live. Fortunately i chose the latter.

3 Likes

My favourites are always changing but at the moment I feel grounded with “Who are you this time” by Tom Waits … apparently he wrote it as a farewell song to alcohol

@mewmcmew I love that song!! It’s one of the songs I’ve been listening to when I feel bad since I was a teenager :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Tom Waits has another song called “The Piano’s Been Drinking (Not Me)”. Not sure if it would make you feel grounded necessarily, but it is absolutely hilarious.

2 Likes

That’s a good one too! I do like a humorous take on alcoholism at times, Tom Waits does that really well

1 Like

I have a few more to add to this list…

Starting Over - Mackelmore
Stronger - Kelly Clarkson

One day at a time. Lets keep this playlist going! I really appreciate all of your suggestions. They have been so useful for maintaining daily focus.

2 Likes

Little Things by India.Arie

3 Likes

“Do Your Best and Don’t Worry” by Morrissey.
The message being don’t beat yourself up, don’t be so hard on yourself. Sample lyric: “The way you hang yourself is oh, so unfair.”

1 Like