Speaking at an alumni meeting

So i got asked to speak at an alumni event for the program i went theough and im super excited. It will be this Wednesday a week before my 1 year birthday. Im excited. But ill admit i did this an untraditional kind of route. I didnt do any 12 step program. I just stuck to this community and staying in touch with the program i went through, went to alumni events, therapy, and drop in groups through kaiser. Think my path and what worked for me will be my speach to show people there is more than 1 way to do this. Do what works for you. Have a plan, keep a community around you, support the newcomers, dont be so hard on your self, be honest. Any way thanks for hearing me out lol.

9 Likes

That could be me Anthony. Only thing I might add is stick to said plan and do the work. Very happy for you. Huge congrats beforehand, have fun with the speech and enjoy your sober life! Thanks for sharing friend. I love success stories :people_hugging:.

3 Likes

Thank you! Yea i just what to give a different perspective than the normal 12 step, higher power, do this or fail approach that people tend to speak on. I think its important to hear of success stories that did things differently.

4 Likes

I feel that I did my first speaker meeting at 9 months it was hard but I also didn’t do the 12 step program or get a sponsor I’m not knocking the program so yes there is more then one way to do it all about the will and desire to live a better life

A sobriety date is better than a tombstone date

1 Like