Started Citalopram 20 mg 1 month ago

Hey, I currently have 132 days off drugs and alcohol. I have been in active addiction for over 30years and I am 43 years old. I have had bits of clean time before 60 days, 90 days but 132 is the most back to back days that I have ever had. Around 70 days the start of a relapse was in the air around 80 days I was committed to using. However by some miracle I asked for help, I got as honest as possible with my doctor. I told her that I have had anxiety, I was feeling depressed and I had thoughts of using. I needed to self medicate I thought but instead I allowed professionals to advise me on the medication and I listed. My doctor prescribed me Citalopram and I’ve never once in my 43 years on earth have felt so calm, so comfortable, I feel I am in my skin. I was lucky enough that I took well to this medication and I have since have had zero cravings, I stopped smoking cigarettes and I am eating better. I know longer feel any desire to use, I feel grossed out by using drugs. I also do not get stuck in shame and guilt. I can not do anything about what I have done because it’s done, I can only live a life that contradicts past wrongs and poisons. I know that everyone has a different story and I also know that I have just over 4 months clean time but damn I wish I tried this kind of medication years ago. I robbed myself out of so much by not being honest with how I feel and seeking help from professionals. I also thought that with my fellowship I would get connected, live with spiritual principles and boom all better. However I was still me full of anxiety, fear, sadness, negative self talk and bullshit.

I am hopeful for the future.

I wish everyone a content, comfortable and a joyous day!

12 Likes

Sounds like it’s making a difference for you! That’s good news :+1: Working with my doctor to find a good medication mix has made a big difference for me too. Happy for you :innocent:

3 Likes

This is a great post! I have also had a good experience with dr prescribed meds for my anxiety. Thank you for reminding us that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I’m so glad you are feeling better, thank you for being here with us :pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes